The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
68c10owner

got a couple random questions

Does anyone know if a 1962 deluxe steering wheel will fit on a 67-72 column?

Also, where is the best deal on a air bag set up for front and rear? I don`t know much about bagged trucks and only know of the Air ride stuff which is expencive. I know several guys have pieced their own kits together and I`m sure there are other guys out there building kits for a reasonable price. Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
hewlett2002000

Re: got a couple random questions

i know it will fit on a 66. i had a 62 deluxe steering wheel on my 66 for a while. i also know that a late 80's steering wheel will fit on my 66 so it should fit.
john
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
68c10owner

Thanks. I found a 67-72 column shift column for $50 but I`ve been thinking about finding a stock deluxe wheel. i found one the other night on ebay but can`t seem to find it now but I`m in no hurry. I just wanted to know if it would fit. i know the aftermarket columns require 1969-up wheels, at least the ones I was looking at for my old 65 chevelle did.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

remember that the truck deluxe wheel horn ring is the same as 59-60 belaire, and the wheel itself is the same as 58-60 except impala.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
soba_03

Oh Oh I know the answer to the steering wheel question... pick me pick me......

Here is what your going to find, the 60-65 wheel is a shorter in the hub area than the 68-72 wheel so when you put it on your 67-72 colum your going to have about 1/2" to 3/4" gap to the top of the colum. I'm quite sure that you cold come up with some thing to fill the gap. I know that Grant and some of the other wheels manufacturers make a kit that you could use some of the parts from. You will also have to change out The plastic piece on the bottom of your deluxe wheel to match up with your column. I hope that makes sence.
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Standard and Deluxe steering wheels and horn assemblies are interchangeable between '60-'66, however I have never personally swapped a '60-'66 wheel to a '67-'72 steering column. The key is the diameter of the shaft and the shaft splines. In any case, good luck with the swap and sorry I wasn't more help, but someone will chime in and get your squared away.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
68c10owner

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I should look for a 60-66 column instead? Might make things easier for me.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
remember that the truck deluxe wheel horn ring is the same as 59-60 belaire, and the wheel itself is the same as 58-60 except impala.
Thanks i didn`t know that. Thats good info to have.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

About the airbag stuff-call suicide doors. They should be able to help you peice a system together. It might be cheaper that way.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
About the airbag stuff-call suicide doors. They should be able to help you peice a system together. It might be cheaper that way.
Thanks. I checked out their website. Maybe I should just stick to a static drop since i had no idea what I was looking at in the "build a kit" section.

Ok, so how low can I go with a static drop? I want just a little lower than the standard 4/6 drop.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

I'm doin the static thing right now too (I'm broke). On the front I have 2.5in drop spindles, and I cut one coil off the bottom of the spring. I didn't do any mesuring, but I'm guessing I got about 5in of total drop. All I know is that in order to get the floor jack under the front crossmember, I have to have a buddy lift up on the front of the truck (or to do it myself I have to do my best impersonation of a monkey, well, doing bad things to a football). I wouldn't go any lower than were its at without a dropmember(someday). I haven't done the rear yet, but today I ordered a weld-in 8" monster drop c-notch and JDM flipkit from stylintrucks. I was going to use suicidedoors for the notch, but stylin gave me free shipping. Here's some pics of the front:

When I got her

After. This is fresh off the jackstands, and it did settle a bit.

I'll let you know how the back turns out. The truck is 4 hours away from me right now in storage at my parents house, because I won't drive it with the super-mean redneck rake, but this is how it is now. Keep in mind, the box is full of crap(two doors, a power steering setup, my old spindles and rotors, and a damn concrete power trowel) that is bringing the stance down at least and inch or two, so you can imagine how it sits unloaded. Hopefully I get the parts by this weekend so I can run home and get it one step closer to being on the road.

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #12
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

I almost forgot, I should mention that I have a leaf spring rear(damnit).

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 04-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

My suggestion for cheap bags is to buy ONLY the bags and brackets and then get the setup in the trtuck. Use a compressor to adjust the hite w/ a shrader valve. Pick up the rest later or cruise C.L. in your area. People are always unloading this stuff.

Static drop.......my 64 pick-up has 2.5" spindles and 3" coils and the rear is flipped on leafs. Not sure how much that lowers it but it still has a bit of a rake. Going this route you should cut off the bumpstops on the a-arms for some travel. My truck rides fairly well and corners really well. You will run out of tire space in the wheel well......keep it in mind.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
The Belaire deluxe horn ring is a full circle and the truck deluxe horn rings are only the bottom portion, so they are not the same.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
My suggestion for cheap bags is to buy ONLY the bags and brackets and then get the setup in the trtuck. Use a compressor to adjust the hite w/ a shrader valve. Pick up the rest later or cruise C.L. in your area. People are always unloading this stuff.

Static drop.......my 64 pick-up has 2.5" spindles and 3" coils and the rear is flipped on leafs. Not sure how much that lowers it but it still has a bit of a rake. Going this route you should cut off the bumpstops on the a-arms for some travel. My truck rides fairly well and corners really well. You will run out of tire space in the wheel well......keep it in mind.

Do you have any pics of the ride height of your truck? I`ve been thinking of going with a set of wide white walls in either a 235/70/15 or a 255/70/15. I might look into doing the bags like you suggested. I`m just not made of money so $1000 for a complete set up isn`t going to happen. Does anyone make a "bolt in" bag for these year trucks?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #16
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

I have upper and lower bag brackets as well as 4 link mounts for sale, all brand new and custom built. I can custom cut anything you can send me a rough sketch and measurements of. pm me if intrested
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #17
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrodworks316 View Post
I have upper and lower bag brackets as well as 4 link mounts for sale, all brand new and custom built. I can custom cut anything you can send me a rough sketch and measurements of. pm me if intrested
Thanks but I`m not looking for something like that. I want to keep the stock suspension but I want the bags instead of springs. I don`t want to "lay frame" or "lay rocker", I just want to lower the truck but do it on a budget and keep it simple. I`ve done some pricing and I think I can get the static drop I want for about $500 or less depending on where I go. Thats alot of money for me as well but at least I can buy it piece by piece.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:25 AM   #18
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Smile Re: got a couple random questions

Hey there 68.........here are the pics of the truck. Again, 5.5" in front and a flip kit on the rear; I have leafs on mine, not coils. Puts your a-arms in harms way but looks cool!!!! I dont know how low the rear is b-cuz it was done when I bought from the PO. My front tires are about 26" in diameter....technically should be 26.5"; ya know how that works though.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #19
68c10owner

Looks pretty good. How much clearance do you have for the front crossmember? I`m thinking of doing 2.5" spindles with 3" springs in the front and 6" springs with a 1" block in the rear. That might be too low for driveway clearance though. I need to find some pics of trucks with that set up.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
wild one
Registered.........

Anthony,

I thought that I'd throw this little gem of info out there for you, I just finished a tilt column install in my 1966 C10 and my factory steering wheel bolted up to the "new to me" column which was sourced out of a 1977 Van. The only modification that I had to perform was unbolting the white plastic turn signal cam from the back of my factory steering wheel. It fits perfectly as if designed that way. Good luck with your project.

Pete

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool!

Popcorn:
Pops at exactly 444 degreese
Expands to 44 times it's original size
Has a 4 year shelf life
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #21
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

X-member isnt the problem........its the a-arms. I dont have problems on my drive but have scraped the arms a couple times. I also built this thing w/ everything up in the frame so Im not too concerned about hitting things.

I measured the a-arms at the lowest point and have 2+3/4" clearance.....my tire size and 2.5" spindles and 3" springs. You can see the a-arm just in front of the tire in the pic from the front that I previously posted.

Taller tires would get you a little more space..........
Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 AM   #22
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
X-member isnt the problem........its the a-arms. I dont have problems on my drive but have scraped the arms a couple times. I also built this thing w/ everything up in the frame so Im not too concerned about hitting things.

I measured the a-arms at the lowest point and have 2+3/4" clearance.....my tire size and 2.5" spindles and 3" springs. You can see the a-arm just in front of the tire in the pic from the front that I previously posted.

Taller tires would get you a little more space..........
Thanks. I`m not sure exactly what tires I`m going to run but I figure they will be around 26.5-27" tall.