The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
The Big Green

couple of 49 chevy p/k questions

I have a 49 chevy and I'm about to start taking it apart piece by piece. I haven't really got underneath and looked very hard but with all the rust its hard to find all the bolt that take the front clip off and the engine needs to be pulled. My 67 has like 8 bolts and its off...lol. I guess there are some under the grille somewhere that holds the radiator support on. I could use some help.

Second really quick question is that I saw a 51 chevy the other day and the windsheild doesn't have the cross/dividerbar on the windsheild in between the 2 piece windsheild. It seemed to be split though, but no rubber seal between. I'm new to these older models but isn't a 1 piece window 1 solid piece of glass or am I wrong...lol...and I could be. Anyways I liked how this truck was, seemed to be a little easier to see out of without the extra blindspot. The 1 piece cam out in 53 I believe. In need of info
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
49S10

Re: couple of 49 chevy p/k questions

Big Green-

Get a shop manual and an assembly manual (about $25-30 ea) from one of the suppliers like LMC, Classic Parts, Jim Carters, or etc. It will help when you put it back together also.

You can purchase after market windshields that are one piece (bent at the center) or what is call "V" butt glued at the center to delete the center vertical bar on the 47-53 trucks. The 54 had a one piece glass. 47-53 are two piece flat glass from the factory.
49S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
jkaylor68gmc

true, the one peice glass can be done at any glass shop, had one installed in m 47 IH and it costs me about 200 bucks for everything.

To unbolt the front clip, unbolt the inner fenders at the back under the toe board, unblt the bolt from the fender to cab, you will see those if you pull the wheel and look inside the fender. removed the radiator and there are two bolts that bolt the core support in. JUst pull those and you can remove the front clip allowing you to flip it over and work on the rusted bolts.
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:39 AM   #4
The Big Green

Thanks guys, I was 1 year off on the 1 piece windsheild...lol...bad thing was I just read up on it about an hour before. I try to read as much as I can so I will know something about these year trucks. I really do need a shop manual and will get one soon. I'm glad to hear about the 1 piece windsheild, I'd really like having the better view when I get it done. I have all the bolts out of 1 fender and will get the others out as soon as I can. I can take the clip and have it blasted, I know there are rusted out spots on the bottom of the front of the fenders. I'm glad to know I have 2 bolts left.

This truck had the battery under the passenger side floor, but someone rigged a battery holder under the hood on the firewall and a piece of wire held it in. I don't know why but I kinda like having it under the floor and outta the way but would build something safer to hold it. No one could steal it though...lol.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote