The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
19GMC63

another blazer tank question (fill hose)

OK, so I have my poly blazer tank mounted, gas lines ran and working, and I have a 1 1/2" marine type cap installed on the rear fender. I bought a 1-1/2" filler hose on ebay, only to find the tank neck is actually 1/8" smaller at 1-3/8".... great.

My first though was to find a 1 3/8" hose.... must be an odd size cause I cannot find it anywhere! So I really just need to rig the filler neck so I can use the 1-1/2" hose I already have. I've noticed the guys using the metal tanks weld on an exhaust reducer and call it a day, but with the poly tank, I don't have that convenience. Only thing I can think of is slipping on some sch 40 pvc and epoxying it to the neck, but that seems like something the redneck PO I bought the truck off of would do.

So to my question, anyone know of a reliable way to make this oversized hose work?
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: another blazer tank question (fill hose)

We used to use radiator hose. But today's rad hose swells when used as gas hose. The plastic pipe won't be the right size, it goes from 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inside diameter. No 1-3/8.

I'm not sure what to recommend. If you can get some exhaust pipe the right size, it could be used as a spacer on the filler neck tube and the tank. Don't forget, steel tubing can be expanded, but it takes some work. A muffler shop could be a big help here. I would either take the parts to them or measure with calipers, you want a fit thae will barely slip over.

Instead of epoxy, I would use Permatex Hylomar sealant. It is gasoline resistant, developed by Rolls-Royce for sealing carburetors. It also remains flexible, you can take things apart later. I have been using it on any rubber fuel line connection.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.

Last edited by Fred T; 03-24-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
19GMC63

thanks for the suggestions.
It seems steel tubing would be my best bet.

The only other thing I could think of (I know it probably sounds very redneck)... was taking a neck length of that 1-1/2" hose, slitting it and trimming off a bit so I can use it as a spacer, glob on some of that Hylomar HPF sealant, clamp her down with some heavy duty wide band clamps, and hope for the best.

I have the bed wood out so if anything I do does leak, it's easily accessible.

Any other suggestions? Also, feel free to tell me my cunning plan is a no no.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
sailed2japan
Jonny

I've found 1 1/4" fuel hose available from marine supply stores online. I just stretch it over and clamp it down.
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote