The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Question Electric Fan Thermostat/Switch ?

I have an electric fan on my truck now. It works great and sucks mad juice. Heres some pictures of my back-up fan, the exact same as the one in the truck:
http://www.73-87.com/~phoenix/Electricfan-01.jpg
http://www.73-87.com/~phoenix/Electricfan-02.jpg
http://www.73-87.com/~phoenix/Electricfan-03.jpg
Ill get some pictures of the fan installed later.

Anyway onto the question. Does anyone make a thermostat/switch (you know to turn it on automatically) that turns on at 210 or even 200 then turns off at 185 or even 190? Right now I have it controlled by a toggle switch, which I like because I control it however I want. The only time I need it is in a drive through or a long stop light. Most the time its off, even in this AZ heat. When I installed the fan I looked around and couldnt find one that fit my needs. There was one that was adjustable. I might be interested in an adjustable thermostat/switch. Please post whatever you can find that meets these needs.

Thank you
Old 01-28-2003, 02:40 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Eddie,
www.painlesswiring.com has what you need. I'm also installing fans. I paid $59.99 for thermostat control setup for on at 200 and off at 185.
I posted this before.
00 per 14" fan from a company in Dallas, TX. They are actually a steal on www.ebay.com Guys usually sells them for $65 but since I wanted two so he cut me deal. The fans are actually GM factory type fans you find on some new Tahos and Yukons.
$59.99 www.painlesswiring.com block thermostat setup.
$19.99 454 radiator boltup bracket from www.cheyennepickup.com
$4.99X4 for the plastic top and bottom supports
$19.99 for the adjustable fan boltup legs.
Total=$374.78
You can cut some of the cost by using a different control switch, find some used 454 1 or 3/4 ton parts. Just don't skimp out on the fans.

I don't expect the fans to actually ever come on except for the summer time. A high flow water pump with the big radiator should do a very nice job cooling the engine. I will also be adding some Water Wetter to the system. From what hotrodders tell me, it will lower the engine operation temperature. The 305 will never get hot but with a planned 400+ HP 350 I want to plan ahead. The look will almost be factory since I will be using a factory radiator support bracket. Another reason I want to remove the fan is to clean up the engine bay. I will be running a serpentine belt setup from a 88+ truck. I've been looking for a 94+ serpentine belt setup without the smog pump option. My brother has one on his 94 and I like the look for my truck. I may resort to the dealer if I can't find a serpentine system. All the systems on ebay have the smog pump option. I don't need the smog pump option on my '83. Probably the last item for the converions is gas milage. I like to drive mine on long trips some which are 16 hour round trips. I'm getting close to 17 MPG and I would like to keep it that way when I drop in the 350.
I'll post a web page once the installation is complete.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
PHOENIX

The fan I have is off a Dodge Cherokee 5.9L R/T (Rare). The Dodge Viper (couple years old) also has a fan real similar to the one I have. I have 2 of these fans now, 1 on my truck, and 1 back-up. My dad who works at a local Dodge dealer got me these fans for free (warrantied them out of a customer vehicle, I got the old, they got brand new). I ahve a 4-row radiator, the computer at Napa said it was for a 454. Is that an aluminum radiator your putting in, looks great?

Thanks for the link. I trust painless so I might get it from them. That part number is 30102 right?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2003, 04:14 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

On at 200 is too low. This will cause your fans to run more than they have too. The stat for mine is on at 210, off at 180. I bought all my stuff as a kit, so I don't have specific numbers for the parts.

I bought my dual Spal fan setup from Scotts Manufacturing Co. in California. They don't have a web site, but you can call them. Their number is 800-272-3267. Ask to speak to Gary. Nice guy and knows what you will need.

BTW, the stat is a 195.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:52 PM   #5
PHOENIX

Once the truck is up to temp. Its low is 180 or just a hair less. The high (if not on highway) is around 195. It rarely gets up to 210 around town. Thats why I would like a 210 on and a 185/190 off. Ill have to watch the gauge some more and see exactly what it gets up to when im racing around.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:17 PM   #6
bigd65

i dont know what mine are set at but they dont come on very often. i got mine a O'RIELYS. i dont know if you have one there but it is a hayden kit i believe and is set up for dual fans. the one AUTOZONE sells is only set up for a single fan. i put mine on about 2 years ago and havnt had a problem with it yet, WORKS GREAT
Old 01-28-2003, 07:28 PM   #7
apstguy
LED King

17 mpg?!?!?! I'm lucky if I get 15 with my 305!

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote