The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
79gmcsierragrande
Manual Transmission Club

sway bar help

I bought a new sway bar from Summit, it’s an Addco aftermarket for truck that didn’t come with a sway bar (mine did not). I’m having trouble figuring out where it goes on my 79 Sierra Grande and the directions are nondescript. If I put it behind the tires the headers and oil pan are in the way. If I put it in front of the tires the tie rods are in the way. If anyone has one of these or even a stock one some pictures would be great. I also bought the rear but I haven’t looked at that one yet, so I’ll probably need pics of that one too. Thanks for the help.

If I wanted easy I would just buy a NEW truck!
79gmcsierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

Re: sway bar help

first off how does it connect to the control arm does it have a link that bolts through the sway bar to a L bracket that you mount to the Lower Control Arm? or is it supposed to bolt to the factory location on the control arm which is U shaped bracket with a bushing that the sway bar slides into and bolts to the top of the LCA. Its supposed to mount in front, bolts to bottom of the frame by the radiator core support and then goes back to the LCA. mine came with links, and it had 2 different sets of links. One was about 5" long and the sway bar bushings sat right on top of the LCA bushings. The other was around 7" long and had a 3" spacer that went between the sway bar bushings and the LCA bushings. I had to use the shorter one, the one with the 3" spacer was to long and there was clearance issues with the tie rods. I don't know if this helps you any or not. You might need to go get some shorter bolts and eliminate the spacer. Just make sure that they are grade8 bolts so they don't break under load. Heres a picture that might help.

Last edited by GMBowtie79; 05-29-2008 at 12:52 AM.
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
79gmcsierragrande
Manual Transmission Club

The picture makes it all come together, I think. I put it up around that spot and it looked like the tie rods were in the way. It’s hard to tell just holding it up there and trying to center it by eye. I also don't have that braket that hangs down from the frame. Is that something you had made or was it on the vehical? I’ve recently taken the control arms off to redo the bushings and ball joints so I’ll have to see when I get them back on. Thanks a lot for the help. Here are some pictures of what the kit came with.

If any one has pictures of the rear sway bar that would be great.
Attached Images

If I wanted easy I would just buy a NEW truck!

Last edited by 79gmcsierragrande; 05-29-2008 at 06:20 AM.
79gmcsierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

That bracket is what comes on ones with a factory sway bar. You could go to a wrecking yard and pull them off (they are riveted on) drill out the rivets and bolt them on. Or I believe ECE (Early Classic Enterprises) might have aftermarket ones. LMC trucks has them (part # 34-1383) for about $17-$18.00Ea you'll need 2. I could take a picture of the rear I don't know if it would help.Mine is a suburban and it has a flip kit on it

Last edited by GMBowtie79; 05-29-2008 at 08:54 AM.
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote