The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2003, 03:27 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Whats better shielded or wrapped?

Im about to order some stuff from Summit (an order code would be nice ) Anyway I have thought about getting a start heat shield or wrap. I wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Shield:
Looks great, last long, may not keep heat away as well

Wrap:
Looks ok, probly wont last as long, probly works much better for keeping heat out.

The reason I have thought about this is because sometimes after alot of driving, or when trucks hot. It doesnt start as good. Im thinking its heat soak the starter, but I dont know for sure. Either way I plan to get one, it should help some, even more when I get the headers, plus it will look better.

Just want to get your thoughts

Here is the shield in question:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=10931
Old 02-02-2003, 04:19 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Eddie, when I was running my small block I tried both. The heat shield was the first thing i tried...but no matter what i did, I could not get that SOB on...to tight of a fit and not enough room to move it around. So I tried the starter wrap...worked great!! You simply cut it to the width of your starter and secure it in place with giant hose clamps. The only tricky part was getting the clamps in the right position so when you installed the starter it would fit and clear the headers (if you have them) and tranny lines as well. I had mine on there for over five years and was very happy with it. Hope this helps a little.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Bowed

Eddie ,we both drive in the same heat and when I had that problem on my truck I just put a new starter in and had no more trouble. Some guys use the mini starters especially with headers to avoid heat problems .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
PHOENIX

Do you live in AZ too?

When the starter is brand new it doesnt seem to do it as much. It doesnt do it all the time either, just most the time Anyway it starts fine and everything is great other then that. Maybe I will replace it and wrap it at the same time.

Jeff what heat shield did you try, or does it even matter?