The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
yfz450_0569

Questions About and Ideas for my '68 Chevy

i just bought myself a '68 chevy a few weeks back and i'm gonna start tearing it down this week. how hard would it be to build the whole frame as in how to put all the mounts on it? i measured the frame off a little and it will only have about 2 inches of travel with the lowering and wheels that i want even with a c-notch. the tire size for the back is 305-40-22 and the front is 255-35-20. i was hoping to even drop the truck to the ground with airbags but if that won't really be possible then i'll go with just airbags for a smooth ride or go with springs. this is my first project but i do have some experience with welding and a little bit of other metal work. any advice/tips on how to do the whole thing would be greatly appreciated! thanks
yfz450_0569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Questions About and Ideas for my '68 Chevy

-
Welcome to the board.. Probably the best thing you could do is go to the "Projects and Builds" forum and read some of the threads there. There are a lot of great build threads and some awesome ideas floating around there....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 06-12-2008 at 03:25 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
yfz450_0569

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Welcome to the board.. Probably the best thing you could do is go to the "Projects and Builds" forum and read some of the threads there. There are a lot of great build threads and some awesome ideas floating around there....

LockDoc
i actually already looked through some so i guess my real question is how hard would it be to build my own frame? would it be very hard to because of all the mounts?
yfz450_0569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
GKsport67

Wassup NOOBIE? Slow down & take a look around you'll find alot of info here about any and everything pertaining to your build,etc. I posted a few uncalled for questions (ie backspacing) and other stuff. i found out the info with a little searching! so i advise a little HOMEWORK! ...good luck on the build!
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The first thing to do on a build like you want is to "PLAN".You should start with a sheet or 3 of paper.Determine what you want the truck to be able to do.Determine how much it will cost.Determine how much of the work you can actually do yourself.Be realistic about these things.There are literally thousands of projects out there that were started without the skills,funds, or equipment and they are either for sale or for a much later date.
If you just bought the truck and want to build your own frame and such maybe you should drive the truck while the frame etc. is being built.Then swap the body over.Frame off and new frame restorations/modifications are not for the faint of heart.There is a great deal of time effort and funds involved.
Drive the truck for a while while you plan your build,you may find you like something the way it is rather than the way you thought you wanted to do it.Spend some time figuring out where you want to end up then plan your route.Good luck and enjoy the process.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
GREASEMONKEY72

short answer, yes you can build your own frame easy enough providing youre a good fabricator and you measure and get it all lined up

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote