The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

How Much Do I Need?

How much of the three step Por-15 will I need to do the back half of my frame as well as the trailing arms and rear end? I also plan on putting on a top coat since I've heard if you leave the Por-15 open to the sun the UV rays can change the color.

Marine Clean: http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=MC&dept=2
Metal Ready: http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=MR&dept=2
Por-15: http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=1&dept=1
Top Coat: http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=BC&dept=4

Will I be good with a quart of each to do everything I want?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
gregbr
Senoir Member

Re: How Much Do I Need?

1 qt of each is about right, as long as you plan on doing all of each coat at one time. Once you open a can it dries in a couple days. If you will be doing it over a long period of time, I would buy the 6 pack of small cans. Hope this helps. Greg

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424

Last edited by gregbr; 06-05-2008 at 12:52 PM.
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
lowriden58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbr View Post
1 qt of each is about right, as long as you plan on doing all of each coat at one time. Once you open a can it dries in a couple days. If you will be doing it over a long period of time, I would buy the 6 pack of small cans. Hope this helps. Greg
or he could get some Mason jars and keep them "fresh"

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
gregbr
Senoir Member

I opened the can, poured some out & resealed it. A few days later it was rock hard. Don't think the jar would help.

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i KNOW the jar helps. I used one quart over a 3 month time span. You MUST make sure there is absolutly NO por on the mouth of the jar.
One quart should do. You might come up just a little shy.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
bigsnookmaster

Sunlight fades the shine of POR15.I did my frame in it and from the garage door being open and the sun shining on it,its dulled out considerably.They do have a uv additive for it from what I understand.
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Yeah, if you put a topcoat on it the top coat is not UV sensitive.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
leddzepp

The jar method works great. You can also leave it in the can if you put a piece of plastic wrap between the lid and the top of the can. You can also add a small amount of thinner to it before re-sealing. I have found that this helps to extend the life of it.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 C10 Dylan View Post
Yeah, if you put a topcoat on it the top coat is not UV sensitive.
huh?

POR needs a top coat. I've personally found that clear seems to be a great top coat. My own 'personal testing' hasn't gone on long enough for me to say that yet... but so far so good.
POR is not UV safe. It says this right on the can. Seems 1/2 or more of the ppl who whine about POR not being good never read the can. Any top coat you put on should be UV safe.... otherwise, don't put it on there.
It not only looses its shine when left in the sun, but it's durability and rust preventitive features are comprimized too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
msgross

I used this www.nomorerust.com they have a UV resistant on non-UV. Used a foam brush after sandlblasting and it looks great (especially for the price). I used 1.5 quarts and did my frame, leaf springs and axles.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
huh?

POR needs a top coat. I've personally found that clear seems to be a great top coat. My own 'personal testing' hasn't gone on long enough for me to say that yet... but so far so good.
POR is not UV safe. It says this right on the can. Seems 1/2 or more of the ppl who whine about POR not being good never read the can. Any top coat you put on should be UV safe.... otherwise, don't put it on there.
It not only looses its shine when left in the sun, but it's durability and rust preventitive features are comprimized too.
That's precisely what I was saying. If you add a topcoat, the topcoat is not UV sensitive so it doesn't change colors.

I'll look into the nomorerust thing and thanks for the info guys.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan