The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Saw an Extended Cab Today (Long Post)

Actually, I saw two 73-87 extended cabs this weekend. The first was one that I passed on the interstate on my way home from work Friday. It was the first that I had seen in about a year. The second was a GMC that I found in a local junkyard on Saturday. I have never seen one up close before, but always thought it would be nice to have one. I'm not so sure after seeing one up close.

The one in the junkyard was a GMC 1500 from the 1980s. It was still mostly complete, so I was able to crawl under and through it, literally. I was disappointed by what I saw, primarily with the quality of the bodywork done when the coach company extended the cab.

The entire upper portion of the cab that had been added (from under the quarter window on one side, over the top, to under the quarter window on the other side) was floated out in about 1/8 of an inch of bondo that was cracking and falling off. I though at first that the truck might have been rolled and repaired because there was so much bondo on the roof, but the lack of bondo in the portions of the cab that came from GM seem to rule this out. I looked over the whole thing and it appears that it was just built poorly from the beginning. The sides of the truck seemed to have somehow escaped the bondo problems. Perhaps they used preformed panels for the sides since they are easily seen.

It appeared that they had just cut the back end off the cab, pulled it back about 2 feet, and welded flat pieces of sheet metal into place without trying to form them to match the lines of the body. The metal under the bondo was very wavy. It looked as though it was just tacked into place and beaten into submission with a hammer, then covered with a lot of bondo.

I considered briefly, since the bondo looked like something I would do in my driveway, that it might be homebuilt. Apparently, though, it was not, because I found a label in the doorjamb with the name of the coach company in Arlington, TX that completed the conversion.

I did not spend much time underneath the truck, but it appeared that the portions of the cab that had been added were starting to rust pretty badly. I did not see any type of rustproofing on the added portions, which might explain the rust.

The quarter windows were plastic, apparently made from Lexan. The word "Lexan" was etched into the corner of the one window I looked at, and they were scratched up like old plexiglass gets over time. The seal that went around it was, apparently, cut from generic material. It had a gap on one side where the two ends met, leaving a small hole that would probably leak.

The interior looked at though it was vacuum formed plastic painted to match the rest of the interior. It did not look too bad, though it did not really match the styling of the rest of the interior. Parts of it were covered in what looked almost like household type carpet. I guess it could have been added over the years by one of the owners, but it was installed very professionally throughout the truck. This leads me to believe it probably was installed by the conversion company. It reminded me a lot of the type of stuff you see in conversion vans.

I was really disappointed. I always thought that I wanted one of these trucks. I thought that, since they were converted here in Texas, I might one day find one for sale. If the workmanship was typical of these, I don't think I would want to touch one.

I do wonder, though, if I should snatch up the interior plastic and everything. Someone who had one of these trucks could probably really use the spare parts. If anyone knows of someone who needs this stuff, tell them to send me an email. I'll tell them where to find the truck.

Slonaker
Old 02-03-2003, 06:00 PM   #2
c10scotty
~THE SILVER BULLET~

those trucks are really cool. i remember seeing a pic of one on here a while back that looked like it was done pretty well. anyone got any pics. maybe someday when im old and retired i will make one . it would be fun.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

I have yet to see a 73-87 extended cab that I like, all the ones I have seen just have "something" about them that doesn't look quite right.

On another note, a couple years back I saw a mid 70's Dodge factory extended cab that had a third door added to it...now that looked cool! I believe the truck was in a few truck mags as well as Hot Rod...wish I had a pic!!

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
PHOENIX

I agree with Jeff, I have not seen one that I liked yet. They just dont look right.

I would like to see a picture of the Dodge if you ever find it or someone else can post it.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:49 PM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

c10scotty:

I have a couple of other pics of this same truck if you want them.

Slonaker
Old 02-03-2003, 08:13 PM   #6
Mdapperdan
Account Suspended

Extened

Was that picture of the extened cab computer generated? If not that a lot of work. Nice truck.
Mdapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

The picture is of one that was for sale on Ebay a while back. They were made and sold as new by a company in Arlington, Texas.

Slonaker
Old 02-03-2003, 10:35 PM   #8
Prerunner1982

dan here is another one....

Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:18 PM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Hey, I'll trade BAD BOW for one!!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:53 PM   #10
Mdapperdan
Account Suspended

That's Badd

I guess your never to old. I have never seen one before :-)
Mdapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:16 AM   #11
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

yeah, i would love to get my hands on one of those. it would be pretty pimped out!
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:36 AM   #12
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

This week I'll try to swing by the junk yard that has a crew cab ext. cab and get pics. Yes I said 4 doors with an Ext. cab as well to it. I think it's also a coach conversion.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:37 PM   #13
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

The thing I don't like about those two ex-cabs posted, is that they didn't modify the frames. When they lengthened the cabs, they shortened the bed without moving the axle to the rear. Now there is more bed behind the axle than there is in front of the axle. I think it would look much better with a shortbed, which would require moving the rear axle, or a longbed, which would require lengthening the frame.

I don't like these newer vehicles like the Aztecs or Frontiers, or any of those "trucks" that have the rear axle shoved up to the front of the bed. It just doesn't look right. The axle should be close to the center of the beds, I think.