The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Magnuman

Transmission braces

I am looking for a picture (and the parts) of a part that braces the trany to the eng via the lower trany cover They will look like 2 ft roods with bolt holes on the ends.

Does anyone have a photo of what these look like, or better yet ones to sell?
Magnuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: Transmission braces

They didn't come on first gen Blazers. AFAIK, they didn't appear until the NP203 was used in the Blazer. I think there was also only one on the passenger side of the transmission.

There was a brace used to connect the NP205 to the frame, but I don't know what years that was used.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
myraley

I think your right that they didnt come on first gens, but there are two. I have them and they connect from plates that fit between the engine and the engine mount down to the trans. No, they definitly were not stock until after 72, because they only fit on the clam shaped engine mounts, not the square style that was stock through 72. I will try to take a photo tomorrow. I got mine at the junkyard. Not hard to find, just look for 73 through, what 87? automatic trans trucks.
myraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Magnuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by myraley View Post
I think your right that they didnt come on first gens, but there are two. I have them and they connect from plates that fit between the engine and the engine mount down to the trans. No, they definitly were not stock until after 72, because they only fit on the clam shaped engine mounts, not the square style that was stock through 72. I will try to take a photo tomorrow. I got mine at the junkyard. Not hard to find, just look for 73 through, what 87? automatic trans trucks.
Thanks for the response's. I would really appreciate a photo of the braces.

Last edited by Magnuman; 07-16-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
jaros44sr

Don't you have to have the alum. flywheel cover w/ the 2 threaded bosses, this only bolts up to the 'K' case trans. Curious to see what these rods look like. Can these clam shell motor mounts bolt up to our engine towers?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
70rs/ss

No, they would require the clam stle motor mount as well. They will work as this is a solution to putting a BBC in the 67-72 trucks without needing the OE mounts for 67-72 trucks. BTW using the Clamshell mounts on our year trucks 67-72 in 2wd or 4X4 applications, allows the use of headers and will clear them as well. Some of you will already know that, but wanted to share in case someone else didn't. Good luck on the hunt!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
jaros44sr

SOOOOO, let me try to put words in your mouth, and see If I understand you correctly....If I get the '73 and up engine towers and mounts, I should be good to go. Thanks for the help

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 07-16-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
70rs/ss

If you can get the engine crossmember (73 and up)as well it is a bolt in deal, but the clamshells can be bolted to the 69-72 blazer crossmember I think, just drill the holes into the existing crossmember and bolt them down. I'd guess a wrecker would sell the whole crossmember cheap and the clamshells should be replaced (inner rubber bisket gets soft), an OE type clamshell can be had for $20 from the cheapy auto parts stores or a urethane bisket can be bought and inserted into the clamshell (opens like a clamsheel and the bisket drops in). LMK if I can help any more. In a 2wd the 73 and up mounts can be bolted to the 67-72 frames and used for a SBC or BBC install as well.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-16-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
jaros44sr

No, I think that is all the info I need for now, you have bin very helpful and informative. I'm going to go hang out on the '73 side and see if I can find the parts, looked before, but no help. I'm having a problem with my oil pan hitting the crossmember, so maybe I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
70rs/ss

I believe the 73 up set up would put the motor up a bit higher as the clamshells and the motor mount are quite a bit thicker than the 67-72 OE type mount for a 4X4. Do you have a local wrecking yard? I have seen tons of them around but never needed them? If for some wild chance you can't get a set up, LMK I can probably pick one up here and ship it for ya? LMK
Old 07-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I believe the 73 up set up would put the motor up a bit higher as the clamshells and the motor mount are quite a bit thicker than the 67-72 OE type mount for a 4X4. Do you have a local wrecking yard? I have seen tons of them around but never needed them? If for some wild chance you can't get a set up, LMK I can probably pick one up here and ship it for ya? LMK
Sure, we have couple of 'you pull it', just wanted to give the board members achance to make a buck

Aren't you coming up for surgery soon?

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 07-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
70rs/ss

Had it done 4 weeks ago or so. I can't "do" anything but sit at my desk and surf! My yard pulls the part so it wouldn't be a big deal, but if you can get one from a member that would help them out, just LMK.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #13
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I just pitched a set last Monday when I sent my pickup to the scrap yard...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 CustomCamper View Post
I just pitched a set last Monday when I sent my pickup to the scrap yard...

Chuck
That's my luck, a day late and a dollar short

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
70rs/ss

Ain't that the truth!! That darned Murphy and his law's!!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #16
Magnuman

Mraley,

Did you get a chance to take the photos of those braces?

If I can't find them I will probably fabricate them.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #17
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

The pieces between the block and motor mount is just a flat piece of steel around 1/4 to 3/16th thick. I can try to get a pic of the ones on my 90 Blazer this afternoon...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #18
myraley

Sorry about the delay - covering for two other people at work is killing me. Anyway, I took the photos, not the best light but you can see what he is talking about. The only thing is I cannot get the photo to be less than 100 kb, which is what it says the limit to post on here is. I'm gonna try it anyway.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #19
myraley

Cool, it worked. I had to shrink it to fit, sorry its not bigger. Anyway, that is the strut. The diamond shaped piece bolts directly to the engine (three bolts in a triangle) and then the metal clam shaped piece bolts to that. Here is a photo of that, if it will go through.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #20
myraley

Wink Re: Transmission braces

Cool, that worked too after I shrunk it. Ok, so that square shaped thing bolts to the engine, with the side you are seeing against the trans strut and engine. The other side is hollow and that is where the rubber or poly engine mount goes. This is all stock 73-86 stuff, and you can see in the Haynes manual from Chevy and GMC trucks 67-87 diagrams of this. The installation is described at the end of the automatic transmission section, and the engine section shows the engine mounting. NOTE: this will not work on 67-72 engine frames, they are completely different. This design is better, which is why I have these parts, so I can take out the stock engine mount from a 72 (which is u or cradle shaped) and install this design and mounts (much stronger, and will allow you to remove the oil pan without removing the engine. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
jaros44sr

Cool, thanks for your time and pics, finally I can see what they look like. Are both rods the same, right and left....search for these parts is on (not a wtb). Now, if they will only clear my 7 qt. oil pan, I'm good to go. Thanks for all the info. guys

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 07-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #22
Magnuman

Thanks for the photos. Now, I have to try and find them or have them fabricated.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #23
myraley

Hi. I just chec ked and the struts are not the same length, one is about an inch longer than the other. Also, the diamond shaped piece that bolts to the engine are slightly different shapes on each side. They are both diamond shaped, but the sides are not identical lengths. I would not recommend trying to fabricate these, even if you are a great fabricator, and I know some of the people on this board are. These are at any pick-a-part in the country probably, because we are talking 73 to 86 chevy and GMC 4 wheel drive trucks, and they made a lot of 'em. If you cant find it by you, just do the Want to buy (WTB) and someone else here will get them for you. I got the engine crossmember piece that way, because it is riveted in usually, and I dont have the tools to grind rivets away at a pick-a-part. Keep in mind that while the mounts and struts are the same between 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive, the crossmembers are different. I have a question, though. The big block mounts and the small block mounts are two different sizes (big block appears to be the same width but slightly longer). Wait, I should post this question over on blazers 2nd gen, since I am switching to their crosmember. Never mind.