The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Loose Wheel Hub, Not the Bearings

Okay, well my front driver side wheel is loose, the hub and all. Me and my dad figured it was the wheel bearings, so we went out and bought the bearing and put it in, that's a no go. It didn't do anything for the wiggle in the wheel. When I drove it I hear like a grinding kind of noise due to the wheel shaking I suppose. Is there any way I could fix this loose hub, and what do I have to do?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Re: Loose Wheel Hub, Not the Bearings

did you replace both the inner and outer? did you snug the nut until you did not have any play?

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Yeah, I replaced both bearings, and I can't picture what nut you're talking about, I'll go pull the wheel off and give it a look right now.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
steelhorse

There should be a big washer and a nut outside of the outer bearing.It should also have a cotter pin in it to keep it from backing off.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
bdydrp97s10

the nut in the center that holds the whole hub assembly on is what we are refereing to
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Thanks guys, the nut was it, I guess I just didn't tighten it enough when I was putting it all back together. All the slop is gone now!

Thanks again,
Dylan
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Luvlegs

I swear I just read somewhere to tighten it to 12ftlbs and no more - rotate the wheel to seat the bearings, back the nut off and then only hand tighten it and then put the cotter pin in. I think it was in a haynes manual if I'm not mistaken.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Don't overtighten the wheel bearing nut or you will toast your new bearing very quickly. If you don't know what the specs are or are not familar with how it should "feel", get a shop manual and do it right.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

So now I have a new problem... It has nothing to do with the wheels, so off that topic. I started it up today and I was sitting there revving it some and warming the engine up. Well I went and revved it a little and the engine just died. I figured it may be the fuel pump, checked it, it's good. Then checked the ignition coil, well it's not putting off any spark so we were like hey, get a new coil. We go to advance and get a new coil, put it on, still no spark coming out of the coil to the distributor. We checked and the coil is getting power, it's just not putting any out. For the life of us we can't figure out why not. Anyone have any advice on this?
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Did you check the points?

If they're not opening (or closing) you won't get any spark.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
john
member #16

Did you check the points and condensor? If the points are closed or burned the condensor is shot you will not have any fire from the coil.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Well the points are in the distributor, and there's no power getting to the distributor, so why is the power not coming out of the coil?
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
truckdude239

if you points are burned out it will not have power to the coil, the distributor feeds the coil

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 08-06-2008 at 10:38 PM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #14
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

I thought it was the starter that fed the coil and the coil fed the distributor, which distributed the sparks to the plugs. Why would it go backwards and feed the coil? I'm just completely lost. I'll most certainly have to look at the points tomorrow though.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #15
truckdude239

the black wire off your points goes to your coil on the neg side of the coil if your points are burned out they will not ground out and the coil will not fire

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 08-07-2008 at 07:16 AM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #16
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Check this out.

http://abbysenior.com/mechanics/ignition.htm

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Great site... Really explains the system in detail for those that are not familiar with the way points work on the older models. Here's an excerpt.

So when the points are closed and the ignition switch is turned on, a magnetic field is built up around the coil. When the points are opened by the distributor cam, electrons can no longer flow, so the magnetic field collapses toward the center of the coil at the speed of light. When it collapses, it moves through the secondary coil. Since the secondary coil has so many turns of wire, and the speed of the magnetic field is so high, a great deal of voltage is induced into it.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Oh okay, I think I see what you're talking about on the ground where the negative wire leads into the distributor. I'm going to check that either later tonight or if I can't get to it tonight it's going to have to be on Tuesday when I get back from vacation. Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep y'all updated.

Edit: just read through the stuff on that link, it makes a whole lot more sense now.

"The points are not anything mysterious. they are simply a mechanical switch that turns on and off the ignition coil. The are opened by the distributor cam, and closed by the point spring. When they are closed, the electricity flows from the battery to the ignition switch on the steering column, to the positive side of the primary coil, and across the points to ground. The only way the electricity can get to ground is across the points, so when the points open, electrons can no longer flow and the magnetic field around the coil collapses."

Thanks a million for the link.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan

Last edited by *Dylan; 08-07-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #19
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

It was the points guys. Thanks for the help and my truck lives once again
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

It'n it great! Simple concept and worked for over 100 years. My great uncle used to say, mules and horses worked for thousands of years, why'd they have to complicate things.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote