The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Powder coated my first part today!

I bought a powder coating gun off ebay a while ago, and decided today I was going to use it. I think it turned out pretty good considering I had no idea what I was doing. I will post pics tomorrow when it finishes cooling off. was not a professional job by any means, but I am happy with it. I think I'll get better the more I do. I plan on doing all the upper and lower control arms, coil springs, frame mounts, clutch brackets, and engine brackets. I even have some chrome powder for the engine brackets! Hope it looks cool.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:26 PM   #2
spinning wheels

What did you bake the parts in? I know you need to bake the item at around 400 F. Did you use your kitchen oven? How long do you bake them for?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I used a portable propane heater, the kind that uses radiant heat, not the forced air kind. It worked great. It takes about 15 minutes for the part to warm up to 400 degrees, then the powder said to bake it for 25 minutes. When I removed the heater before I left work today it looked pretty good. I will see tomorrow how well it really did.

Never use your kitchen oven. The fumes WILL contaminate your food the next time you cook. Also don't use a gas oven. The fumes from the cure are flammable. If you use a kitchen style oven, it must be only for curing use. The radiant heater works really well, and it will run for like 30+ hrs on one 20 lb cylinder. I'll take pics of the setup I have tomorrow. I didn't take my camera to work today cuz I wasn't sure I would get to it.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:41 AM   #4
spinning wheels

Thanks jmanz for the info. Who did you get your powdercoating stuff from, Eastwood? I have a 220 volt electric kiln. I was wondering if that would work. It was once used to fire up ceramics. Wondering if I can do some ceramic coating with this kiln
Old 02-11-2003, 07:26 AM   #5
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I got my gun from ebay, it's the same as the Harbor Freight gun only it was cheaper at the time than what HF had it on their site. I got it from www.columbiacoatings.com. These guys are really good about tech support. The prices they have on powder is better than Eastwood too. I have been really happy with the service I got from them.

I think you should be abl;e to use your kiln if it can be limited to 400 F or so. I don't know about ceramic coatings, but you can give it a try. I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2003, 08:36 AM   #6
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Once you get up to speed with the new gun, you will probably get a few requests from fellow board members!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:23 AM   #7
minibike

Most chromes require a clear coat to make them not oxidize. Since you got your chrome from Columbia, they should be able to tell you if it requires a clear or not. I did my whole frame that way...http://www.cox-internet.com/minibike/img81.gif

Takes a long time, however. I bought an old electric oven for $50, and put it on casters in the garage. I'm not sure if the fumes are flamable, but I am positive that the airborne powder (out of the gun) is flammable. I have had some flash when trying to touch up a part using the propane heaters.

The best results come out of the oven, but the heaters work pretty good.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #8
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

I really like dealing with Columbia Coatings. BTW that's the first I heard that the fumes were flamable. I'll do some checking on that. It would be good to know. Show us some pics!
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:04 PM   #9
chaptr2

Jmanz69 welcome to the world of powder coating! This is one of the most creative hobbies you could have. Use your imagination when you start doing this. Look at things and think to yourself, hmm what color could I power coat that? I have created a few different brackets so I could coat something so it won’t touch the powder on the rack or part of the oven.

The fumes are supposed to be flammable. There are specific warnings not to use gas ovens to bake your parts. If your kiln is open flame don't use it try to find a cheap oven. And if you are going to use a shop vac to help clean up the powder you need to have an explosion proof vac. If you read your instructions :p you're not supposed to use anything that has an open flame around powders.

jmanz69, Minibike is right about the chrome. Even Columbia coatings needs to be clear coated. If you don't use clear in about a year or so it will turn Grey with dark Grey spots on it. My first piece I had ever done was in Chrome without clear and now it looks terrible and needs to be redone with chrome then clear.

I have been doing this for almost four years and if you need any tips or help feel free to PM me with questions. Oh also whenever you order from Columbia Coatings they send you helpful hints with each order. They by far are the best powder supplier for us without an actual business.

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #10
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

WOW, thanks for all the replies. So all you know, I did get clear with the chrome. I am hoping to do my alternator bracket today. I don't think I will attemtp my whole frame, I am just not that patient. You have way more patience than me man!! I took some pics of the upper amr I did yesterday, and am going to do the other one at lunch. The powder is very flammable, I had a little flame up this morning when I took the air guin to the powder gun to clean it. Shot a little powder near the heater!! OOPS, I will remember to aim the other way next time. I figure I am safe using my heater since Columbia sells a similar one on their site. Theirs is just a bit bigger scale than mine. I'll post some pics tonight after I get home from work.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:26 PM   #11
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Here are some pics of my first run of parts. I did my upper control arms and the lower alt bracket. I think they turned out pretty good!! the bracket looks really nice in chrome.

Old 02-12-2003, 06:37 AM   #12
GMC Jim

Harbor Freight has a Powder Coating system on sale for $69.99 ( Reg price is $99.99.Item # 42802-3AZA. They also have various colors of powder coat paint for $9.99 for 8 oz...... you can gor to their web site 'harborfreight.com; eneter the item number and get a description plus download the instruction/parts manual. Their phone # is 1-800-423-2567
Old 02-12-2003, 09:08 AM   #13
minibike

I'm using the Harbor Freight gun. It goes for anywhere from $59-$99, depending on the sale. I have probably blown 30 lbs of powder through it so far. This gun is comparable to the Hot coat gun from Eastwood, but not the Hotcoat Pro. The Hotcoat pro has adjustable voltage which would be really nice. They went on sale for less than $500 before Christmas.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:15 AM   #14
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

$9.99 for a 1/2 lb is a lot of money. I get my powder from Columbia Coatings (www.columbiacoatings.com). Their powder is only $6.99 for 1/2 lb. Eastwood is $7.99. I wouldn't buy from HF if you had a choice. I am very happy with the Columbia powder so far. The chrome looks really nice.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:22 AM   #15
GMC Jim

Harbor Freight does pay shipping on all orders over $50.00... This may be a significant amount on some items... I once ordered an anvil from them and the shipping was more than the cost of the anvil.... LOL