The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
syncrov69

Looking for stock Front & Rear suspension kit

I'm looking for a stock(not dropped) Front & Rear repair suspension kit. I have found one on LMC but not sure if it's quality kit. Anybody use this kit and have positive or negative comments? Do you have any other online store adress selling a complete kit like the LMC one? Thank's for your help, François
Old 08-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Re: Looking for stock Front & Rear suspension kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrov69 View Post
I'm looking for a stock(not dropped) Front & Rear repair suspension kit. I have found one on LMC but not sure if it's quality kit. Anybody use this kit and have positive or negative comments? Do you have any other online store adress selling a complete kit like the LMC one? Thank's for your help, François

François,

I ordered the complete kit from LMC a long time ago (probably close to a year now) and got it all installed fairly easily. It isn't MOOG quality stuff, but it entirely depends on what your truck is for, really.

I'm using mine (or will be soon) to have grown-up fun in, take the boat to the lake with, and go to Lowes when I need to. No need for me to spend a whole pot of money in the suspension right away, as I might let the truck graduate someday to something more than a simple boat hauler. At which time I'll think about dropping the cash (prolly gonna have to donate an organ or two, lol) and get the full tilt Air Ride setup, or something along those lines.

If you are looking at doing a simple rebuild on a work truck, or trying to get your truck safe again after sitting for a very long time with no maintenance or updates, you can't really go wrong with the LMC kit.

The only thing I will caution you about is that I had to go to the local auto parts store and order slightly oversize lower balljoints because I screwed up while pressing the ones from the kit in place and oblonged (caused the holes to come out of round) the original placement holes in the lower A-Arm on the passenger side.

Other than that, make sure you take good placement measurements on those lower control arms before you take them off to replace the u-bolts that come in the kit. And make sure you understand and follow the directions in your Chilton/Haynes/Factory Assembly manual about installing the new upper and lower control arm bushings and you'll be just fine.

A word of warning, the UPS guy didn't find it amusing at all that the box weighed in at roughly 180 lbs (if memory serves correctly) because I lived on the third floor of my apartment building at the time. Good thing I had a garage space rented nearby!

Have fun!

Last edited by JVictor75; 08-14-2008 at 10:32 PM.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
68_chop_top

try cpp
Old 08-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
cdowns

local auto parts store i prefer napa or carquest
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
local auto parts store i prefer napa or carquest
I totally agree. Get to know the guys working at your "flaps"(friendly local auto parts store) and they will get you a better or same price for a better quality product. No shipping charges or return shipping and they will most likely be able to actually help you thru the process, where as LMC will be of NO HELP. I suggest you check out or review board before using LMC. If you are unable to deal locally you should give one of the board vendors a shot before LMC. The board vendors help to keep this place going and we should all try to use them whenever we can. You can click on the link to the board vendors in my siggy, easy as that.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
I totally agree. Get to know the guys working at your "flaps"(friendly local auto parts store) and they will get you a better or same price for a better quality product. No shipping charges or return shipping and they will most likely be able to actually help you thru the process, where as LMC will be of NO HELP. I suggest you check out or review board before using LMC. If you are unable to deal locally you should give one of the board vendors a shot before LMC. The board vendors help to keep this place going and we should all try to use them whenever we can. You can click on the link to the board vendors in my siggy, easy as that.
Man, my whole family must have been put on the "good" list at the LMC company HQ.

For all the complaints that people make about their service and the quality of their stock, not a single person in my family has ever once had a single problem or complaint to make about them. I personally have been dealing with LMC, Brothers, and Golden State Pickup Parts off and on for almost 18 years now.

If I had to do it all over again I would be more than happily willing to go thru any one of the board vendors, but not a single one of them has put together anything like the level of attention to detail from the people at LMC. I will say that if you ask I'm absolutely sure any single one of them would be willing to do this, and you could probably specify what parts manufacturers name you want to be on the outside of the boxes when you get them.

All I would have had to buy after receiving LMCs suspension kit is shocks, if I hadn't screwed up the lower A-Arms and had to buy the oversized ones that I mentioned in my first response.

I notice from Google maps that Laval is in Quebec proper, but when I performed a search for "Auto Parts" in the area all I got was Carquest store listings and a couple of locally owned businesses.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you.

Last edited by JVictor75; 08-17-2008 at 08:18 PM.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
syncrov69

Thank's for all your research, I think that I go with LMC as recommended by JVictor75. But I'm open to any suggestion if a board vendor sell a kit.! I have shop today for parts and at the autoshop it's expensive:

Upper balljoint: 50$-60$
Lower balljoint: 30$
Inner Tie-Rod: 25$
Outer Tie-Rod: 25$

Thank's

François

Last edited by syncrov69; 08-17-2008 at 08:58 PM.
syncrov69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
stope4

for what it's worth, local auto parts house will give you lifetime warranty on Moog brand. To me that's worth something.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote