The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
drewfever1020

help?

whats the cheapest welding machine i can get?
iv never welded before but would like to learn since i want to do lots of things to my truck!
drewfever1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
drivethechevy

Re: help?

and arc welder is probly the cheapest one u can get brand new but i would invest in a mig welder they are easy to get used to and can be picked up pretty reaasonably go with a brand like miller or lincoln

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

hold the phone a minute.

You can get a cheap welding machine, but that doesn't mean it will be a good welding machine. You are going to get what you pay for, and your welds will be on par for quality,

Now if you spend a few bucks, invest in a good welder, you will have one you can use for years to come, that will provide you with plenty of good service, and allow you to do all the projects you need to do.

I would highly suggest you look at the Millermatic 180, it is a cost effective machine and spits pretty welds, many board members use them, and it is more than capable of doing anything you would have to do to a truck as far as welding goes.

Cyberweld Carries them for 805.00, that is a pretty damn good price, they take about 3 days to ship them to you. You will also need a bottle, I think they are going for about 250.00 for a #4 right now, and it is like 10-15.00 to exchange them.

so for just over a grand, you can have you a great welding setup that will meet your welding needs for years to come.

I do know a thing or two about what I am talking about here too, I am a Rig welder, and have gone to school for welding.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Also I didn't realize you are in San Antonio, if you get yourself a welding machine, and feel like dragging it down here in a couple of months on a weekend, I will be more than happy to give you a couple of welding lessons.

Another thing is, you will want an auto darken hood.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Check Northern Hydraulics, Harbor Freight, etc. I happen to have a MIG welder I'm trying to sell, but it isn't what you're looking for. There are some that use 110-VAC (household) voltage, that is what you should be shopping for. One that uses Stargon (for instance) will have you paying a little more than you would for one that doesn't use a shielding gas, but the gas should help you produce a better-looking weld than a MIG weld w/o the gas.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
69_C10
Doing it my damn self.....

I purchased a Hobart 140 MIG from Northern Tool for $449 and couldn't be more happy!! I also purchased the Hobart 250ci Plasma cutter along with it. The plasma was an additional $700 but dude!!!!! removing quarters and patch panels have never been easier. You can't go wrong with the MIG 140, it uses 110V household current and only weighs about 35 pounds. Ready to weld right out as soon as you reverse the polarity for MIG use.
69_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69_C10 View Post
I purchased a Hobart 140 MIG from Northern Tool for $449 and couldn't be more happy!! I also purchased the Hobart 250ci Plasma cutter along with it. The plasma was an additional $700 but dude!!!!! removing quarters and patch panels have never been easier. You can't go wrong with the MIG 140, it uses 110V household current and only weighs about 35 pounds. Ready to weld right out as soon as you reverse the polarity for MIG use.
The 140 would be great if all you are doing is sheet metal, but on something like a frame or suspension, the 140 doesn't burn hot enough to my liking. Even using DCEN I wouldn't use it on anything thicker than 10GAU
Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Malibumick

with multiple passes it would be fine. he's a noob, no sense spending a grand on a welding setup until he's good and knows he's good. alot of people call themselves good welders but would fail any test thrown at them. start off cheap. you got to crawl before you walk.

Signed, A certified welder of 18 years.
Malibumick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Shak

I also have a Hobart 140 that I paid less than $450 for and I love it. Although I haven't been welding as long as others on this site, I am in the process of shortening my frame and I am confident the Hobart will stand up to the job wonderfully, with the proper reinforcement. I would suggest getting some lessons from someone who really knows what they are doing, and you practice, practice, and practice somemore before actually doing anything to your truck. Just my 2 cents.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibumick View Post
with multiple passes it would be fine. he's a noob, no sense spending a grand on a welding setup until he's good and knows he's good. alot of people call themselves good welders but would fail any test thrown at them. start off cheap. you got to crawl before you walk.

Signed, A certified welder of 18 years.
Nah, really I think over doing it would be going straight for a big blue air pack. In this case, by the time he spends the money on a 500.00 welder, and another 250 for a bottle, and all the stuff he will need, he could have got the 180 for about 300.00 more...

Although I will agree that the hobart is a good alternative for a beginner.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
hchad18

Go with a 175 or a 180. I bought the Miller 175 after years of using the 135, what a difference. Does anything from sheet metal to framework.
hchad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #12
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

ok well im going to answer this question with a question.

What do you plan on welding in particular? this could help alot.
i got at least one certification in each of these. im trying to help you out.

from cheap to megabucks
Theres 4 common ways to weld mild steel

Oxyacetelyne welding. you use a torch but with a different tip and use a filler rod. no machine just tanks. very simple concept.
Ease:**
Price:****
Functionality:*

Stick, basicly a machine that converts electricity flow. "Siad to be strongest welds* no gas no moving parts wide variety of rods. alot of slag.....
Ease:**
Price***
Functionality***

Mig, you use a gun and flux/sheilding gas. very easy to learn and operate. but huge difference in machines.
Ease****
Price n/a
Functionality****

Tig, basicly the Uber Welder and you pay acoordingly. oxyacetelynes concept with machine and gas. oh they have stick welders on the side of them as a bonus.
Ease*
Price**
Functionality*******

this is a very vauge crash course into what you can get into.

For starting off i would suggest a small 225 lincoln electric mig.
good for just about anything on a vehicle.

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"

Last edited by d10s69c10; 08-19-2008 at 12:03 AM.
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote