The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
68LSS1

Aftermarket brake booster

I did a search and found where someone said you could use one from a Citation but is this the only option available? I'm looking to clean the firewall up. Gotta get rid of that big booster. Any aftermarket options that anybody knows of?
68LSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:56 PM   #2
Bowtie468

Sure, you can get aftermarket boosters for your truck in i believe a 7" diameter. Someone posted a pic the other day with one purchased from GMC Paul. Just about any parts vendor ( e.g. GMC Paul,Tim Christian, Motherstruckers, Chevy Duty, etc.. ) should be able to help you with this one. Good Luck
----------------------------------
1979 C10 Silverado Big10 SWB
Factory 454/400
Cardinal Red/Santa Fe Tan (original paint)

1969 Camaro X44 LS swap

1968 C10 SWB Fleetside (SOLD)
468BBC MultiPort TPI / Dynamic EFI P4
Black/Black

1963 Nova SS convertible (SOLD)
194 I6/ PowerGlide
Bowtie468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Seven inch booster from GMC Pauls.
Attached Images

Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Pic #2
Attached Images

Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

Old 02-10-2003, 04:22 PM   #5
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Hey Earl, was that a bolt on or were there some changes involved? Just curious, I like the smaller size. By the way, that air cleaner still cracks me up, lol!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

It was a bolt on. The hardest part was getting the original clevis off the old push rod. Actually, getting it back in was worse. Had to hold the brake pedal to the floor with my head while holding a ratchet in one hand, an end wrench in the other and trying to get the pin back in place with my dashing good looks. My wife thought it was quite funny.

And don't laugh at my air cleaner. It barely fits under the hood, and is the shortest filament I could find. The front part is smashed all to hell because it doesn't fit well at all.

Old 02-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #7
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Hey Earl, I got the perfect cure for your carb (from project Copperhead)
Attached Images

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.

Last edited by chevy_fatman; 02-10-2003 at 07:09 PM.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:50 PM   #8
Crank

Hey does anyone have like a *****in' Industries Air Cleaner or the web address to find one?
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:55 PM   #9
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Quote:
Originally posted by chevy_fatman
Hey Earl, I got the perfect cure for your carb (from project Copperhead)
Those things are $350!! And I doubt they're less than 2 1/4 inches tall.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:41 PM   #10
spinning wheels

Earl, is that Preditor carb that tall? I'm running a 5" tall K'nN air filter element on my SBC with a Edelbrock. I think I still have enough room for a 6" element if I could find a cheap one. Your other option would be one of the fly eye air filters. I had to run that on my Z28 for a while cause it has no hood clearance.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:01 AM   #11
Snowbound

I'm LMAO at Earl. I went through the same thing when I installed my booster. The donor truck I got it off was sitting on the frame so I couldn't get the drivers door open. So I laying across the seat contorted between the 4-speed shifter and the seat, upside down with my head in about 3" of dirt, mouse crap and who knows what else, trying to get that damn thing apart.........

Putting it on my truck was a treat! Ahh the things we go through.

Brian
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:29 AM   #12
casey

Snowbound your a true gear head, I salute you. Hey earl junior what did that brake booster set up cost you?
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:56 AM   #13
Hooter
My other Love

Hey Earl, What kind of carb is that?

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:47 AM   #14
GMCPaul

Earl Junior shes starting to look good under that hood!! How do you like the performance of the booster? I am assuming that predator carbed motor is running a high lift cam reducing vacuum greatly and the 7" you bought is a high performance booster designed to work on motors with as little as 16lbs vacuum with our 9" needing even less. I'd like to hear your thoughts on its performance I know mine but I like to get everyones feedback. casey you can find that booster/master cylinder assembly on this page of our site,
http://www.gmcpauls.com/Brakes&Steering.htm
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:36 PM   #15
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Spinning Wheels- The Carb is 5 1/4inches tall, on top of a one inch spacer, sitting on a fairly high mounted motor. I have roughly 2 1/4 inches clearnace between hood and carb top.

Casey- The booster was about $250 bucks. And worth every penny. I also purchased the adjustable proportioning valve so I could even things out.

Hooter- That is a Predator carb with the street idle circuit. I bought it from Guitar Man here on the board. So far, I'm having a bit of trouble dialing it in where I want it. It wants to run really rich in the mid range and pretty lean on the bottom, top end performance however is dreamy. You can read more about them here.

GMC Paul- I love the new booster. It performs extremely well. I had a bit of trouble at first (soft pedal) but I think that was due to having the booster sharing a vacuum line with the PCV valve. Not having any vacuum ports on that carb has been a bit of an adventure. After I drilled and tapped a solo spot for it in my carb spacer I haven't had any issues.

The only gripe I have is that I can't hardly drive my truck anymore. I went from armstrong steering and manual drums to power steering and power disc brakes in one giant leap. I keep catching curbs on right hand turns and catching the steering wheel with my ribs on quick stops.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:34 PM   #16
casey

Earl junior now you got me going on that brake set up, that proportioning valve, it sounds like you can adjust the pressure, so you can get alittle more back brakes if you want or viseversa, is it just a screw adjustment? and that brake booster is it just a direct bolt on? thanks for the info
Old 02-11-2003, 10:48 PM   #17
JHickson6
I Love This Stuff!

I have another question to, what's the difference between the 7" and 9" booster (besides size) are there any advantages or disadvantages of either of them?

Thanks Guys

My Rides
1967 C10 In Pieces for now
1985 Ford B700 SourPuss Bus - BIG BLUE
2003 Silverado CITY WORKER YELLOW!!
JHickson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 11:53 AM   #18
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

Hey if you plan on changing out your existing booster let me know what you are going to do with the old one. I've got manual brakes right now and have wanted to upgrade. I'm not really worried about cluttering up my firewall. After all nobody can see it when I'm passing them! But they will see it if I can not stop before I hit something!
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #19
Blue68

The difference between a 7" (38.5 cu.inches) and 9" (63.6 cu.inches) is about 25 cubic inches of surface area on the diaphram. These means one of two things. With equal engine vacuum greater pressure (less foot pressure) applied by the booster, or equal pressure with less vacuum on a bigger booster.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:37 PM   #20
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Casey- It was a direct bolt on. The studs should already be in your firewall for the mounting bracket. Everything Blue68 said about the size of the diaphragm is correct. The adjustable proportioning valve is exactly what you said: adjusts more or less pressure to rear brakes. The one GMC Pauls sells is made by Wilwood, but engraved with McGaugheys' logo.

Old 02-12-2003, 10:45 PM   #21
casey

thanks earl junior