The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
lotus

intro and questions...

intro and questions...
Hi all! just thought I would do a little intro before throwing out some questions...

My name is Lotus and I live in the Bakersfield CA area. My current projects are a 1952 chevy two door deluxe (car) and a 1955 chevy truck (second edition).

The truck has a older small block chevy engine (not sure of the condition) in it from a corvette and a 4 speed. I am not into shifting and I like BB so I am thinking of putting my 472 caddy engine in the car with a turbo 400. The truck also has a 12 bolt rearend in it. It needs quite a bit of work still.

A couple questions I have are is it easy to move the gas tank out of the cab and put it somewhere else??

the stock front suspension is it worth rebuilding and using or is it rough riding no matter what?

and lastly... the truck sits high in the back and low in the front... upon looking at the rear suspension I have noticed there are NO shocks just leafs sitting ontop of the rearend. I want it lower in the back. Should I put the leafs on the bottom of the axle and put some shocks back on to start or ???

I am not wanting to spend a TON of money on the truck at this time which is why I am asking about the front end and not just throwing a MII in it....

Thanks!
Lotus
PS I will post pics soon! I just bought the truck and have not had time to take pics. Here is where pics are located of my car (old... need to take new ones)
http://www.greaser.biz/chevrolet/
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 02:41 AM   #2
original69

First, welcome to the board! There isn't much action on this 55-59 board. I have (well my wife has) a 59 short fleet. I lowered the rear by putting the rear on top of the springs and using shorter shocks. I also welded new spring pads. If you dont load the rear it will be ok. I ended up with about 2 1/2 in. of clearance to the frame. It never hits the frame though and the ride is about the same. I used a camaro clip on the front and the ride and braking are excellent! I would be hesatant to put money in that straight axle front end. You really need better brakes so i would save up and either clip it or buy a kit from a reputable company that makes them. As far as the gas tank i know that "No Limit" out of San Bernardino makes a kit to mount it under the rear. You can find their number in Classic Trucks. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, thats why we are all here to talk trucks and swap stories and info. Good Luck!!
92 Grand Prix (also wifes)
99 Grand Cherokee
LOOKING FOR A 1952 FORD SEDAN EMAIL IF SOMEONE KNOWS OF ANYTHING!
original69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
solidaxel

WELCOME, to the fun part of the computer !!
JMTCW, I have been driving my 55 1st series for 10+ yrs with the Mll and It is my first choice of drivers for the city, because of thr rack and pinion steering and the great ride and I love shifting! You have some great projects and all the time and money you spend will come back too you in one way or another. Pick, up a copy of street rodder and look at the front end slections stick to the stock stuff as when it is complete only you will know what it looks like and the ride will be the same. I strongly recommend using Bilstine shocks with the Mll front end this is the most noticeable upgrade I have done to this truck it really works better than I ever excepted!! When you get some time look at the site from hotrodsandcustomestuff down in Escondido they did a 50's chevy Cherry Bomb what a project I could not stop looking at it those guys are magic !! You mentioned the color primer, as a thought how about a two tone primer with hardner that way you don't have to keep rediong it when it scuffs !!
Have fun and enjoy your projects. One other thing I just thought of on your 50 front end My 62 Vette has the same front suspension only with bigger hubs and quicker steering but it s just about the same as far as most parts are concerned and it works great with Bilstin shocks !!

Bob
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Seon

Re: intro and questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by lotus
intro and questions...
Hi ...A couple questions I have are is it easy to move the gas tank out of the cab and put it somewhere else??

ANS: Use a 67-70 Blazer gas tank. Most Classic Chevy Truck store sells them for about $200. They mount between the frame rails above your rear end.

the stock front suspension is it worth rebuilding and using or is it rough riding no matter what?

Ans: If you're not wanting to modify the front end at this time, then you can get by rebuilding your existing front end. Then later when you have the money, you can either opt for the MII or Camaro....your call.

and lastly... the truck sits high in the back and low in the front... upon looking at the rear suspension I have noticed there are NO shocks just leafs sitting ontop of the rearend. I want it lower in the back. Should I put the leafs on the bottom of the axle and put some shocks back on to start or ???

ANS: You need shocks back there. You can reverse the spring set up as you discribed by placing the axle above the springs which will lower the back end of the truck.

I am not wanting to spend a TON of money on the truck at this time which is why I am asking about the front end and not just throwing a MII in it....

ANS: What I've suggested will get you by at a minimal cost.
Good luck

Seon is offline   Reply With Quote