The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Anyone use...

I have seen a lot of new Mopars with the clear film on the front of the hoods to protect from rock dings and bug damage. Has anyone used this material on the raised parts of our hoods. If so how does it work and what kind of cost is involved. Just looking for options to try and save the hood from the highway when I get her back from paint jail. Anyone have pics as well to see how it looks. Thanks
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Anyone use...

Jeff,
I know of a window tint installation business here locally that is applying a clear plastic shield on frontends. I think it's a lot like the vehicle "wrap" on some company vehicles.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 09-02-2008 at 07:55 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Chevy puts little patches of that stuff on the lower part of the rear doors on HHRs. There is a raised section that is part of the body line of the rear quarter panel. Since it is a front wheel drive vehicle, the tires throw more grit than a non-sriving tire would.

I have used it before on other stuff....We always called it "Helicopter tape"
I guess from it's original use on the leading edge of the blades?
http://www.racerstape.com/heli.html
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

I have a friend with a C-6 Vette that had a 3M product installed on his car and another with an Aston Martin that did this also. My buddy with the Vette said he was in Texas, and a commercial truck was spitting rocks the size of you thumb, and it did not hurt the paint on his car. it did ruin a piece of this film. On both of these cars it was almost a half a day, and almost a grand to install it. If you could buy some, and do just the front of your hood, I think for a driver it might be worth it.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Camper Power

only the leading edges of the car is protected, its supposed to be an invisible protectant but when u get up close it looks like crap. the body shop i used to work at saw many cars come through with this protectant on and since the leading edges are protected doesnt mean the rest of the truck isnt gonna get pelted with rocks. this one guy had a 69 mustang that had this stuff on and he decided to remove it cause it made the car look like crap, we had to repaint almost the entire car cause the only way to get the glue completely off is to sand it. i strongly not recomend this product

1970 Chevy C20 daily driver
1975 GMC Jimmy 4x4 project
1966 GMC C10 Dad's project
Camper Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
matthufham

i have a civic and i'm going to get it repainted, and get the guys who tinted my windows to apply their protective film to my air dam and rockers.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #7

expensive and it looks good almost invisible,performs very well. have not tryed to replace or remove it yet so i can't atest to the paint break down when removing it. but i do have a test control patch on my man door in the shop that i'am watching closely.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

had it put on my wife's Grandprix when I bought it.IMO it's hardly noticeable and protects the front of the car great.I only have two problems with it.When I wax it,it can be a bit of a pain to get the excess out of the seam where the film ends.That and it cost $500.
All that said,it'll go on the next vehicle we buy,and it may go on the 72 when it's done as well.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote