The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
manimal

salvage titles????

How many here have them? Why was your truck/car salvaged?
My 1975 GMC C15 has a salvage title,not due to a wreck or theft. The original owner died and the truck was picked by a wrecking yard as a project. Well the owner of the yard never transfered the title into his name,so there were SEVERAL hundred dollars in back fees and penalties. So through his business he junked the title to wipe out the back fees. Now because someone was LAZY the value of my truck will never be the same. And EVERYONE always thinks it was wrecked then repaired... Oh well just thought I would share that. Anyone else???
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
79gmcsierragrande
Manual Transmission Club

Re: salvage titles????

My wife rolled my 94 Toyota 4x4 with 31s on it. She didn't stop in time in a parking lot the tires rolled right over the curb and there was a 6 foot drop on the other side. The truck hit nose first and then landed upside down. If it wasn’t for the camper shell it would have crushed the cab and probably killed her. As it was she walked away without a scratch. I took the truck back, got $1300 less from the insurance, pushed the top out with a porta power, put a new windshield in it and have been driving it ever since. When I’m done with the Sierra I’m going to cut the top off put a role cage and 4.3L V6 Chevy motor in it.

If I wanted easy I would just buy a NEW truck!

Last edited by 79gmcsierragrande; 09-10-2008 at 10:28 AM.
79gmcsierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
69face

salvage titles only mean something to an all original numbers matching car/truck or newer vehicle. once you've done a frame off and all kinds of mods the buyer most likely wont care about a salvaged title, then again they might.

I'M SO SO CAL!
69face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
HuggerCST

My last truck had been declared a total loss by the insurance company twice before I got it, but had never been wrecked, and never got branded as "salvage". The first time it was stolen and stripped, sold at auction and rebuilt. The second time a tree fell on it, and the owner bought it back from the insurance company, then sold to me, and I rebuilt it. Salvage titles don't bother me, but they do usually bother people that don't know much about vehicles and can't tell if the vehicle has been properly repaired. Just like in your case though, there are many reasons for a vehicle to have a salvage title.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

Last edited by HuggerCST; 09-10-2008 at 07:47 PM.
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Vixvega

Contact a title company, most are in the southwest. Around 150.00 or so you can get a good title for your vehicle. It involves changing the VIN and re registering it with the state. A frame off rebuild or building something from several different vehicles is the usual reason. PA requires all receiptts and much other info that really is not any of their concern. 150.00 is a lot less than the loss you may take for a salvage title or reconstructed title. Knowing a sharp notary helps a lot too. I have done this several times for myself and for customers. Documentation and pictures are your best source to get a good title.

Last edited by Vixvega; 09-10-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Vixvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

I have a 1995 Impala SS that I purchased with a salvage title. It was hit in the left front. Took a tree or pole to the front, just inside the left framerail directly on the steering box. I put a frame under it, and a 3/4 front clip.I had a 95 Caprice that was an SS clone, so that is what I used for the parts. I figure it i worth about $8500 with the salvage title. It would bring closer to $12000 with a clear title. I don't have near the 8500 in it, and doesn't bother me what the paper says...
Name:  impalass2.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  impalass4.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  impalass3.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  64.4 KB
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board