The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Larry S

Rear mount fuel tank questions

I am new to this site. I have a 69 C-10 that was my grandpas truck I am in the process of working on it. It was a 6 cyl, 3 speed, no ac truck. I have a 1996 1500 wreck. I am planning to put the motor / trans in the 69. I want to put a rear fuel tank in it. Id like to use the sending unit and pump out of the 96. Will it work in the rear tank sold by LMC? Also Im wondering what kind of steering column are people using when they convert manual steering to power steering with later model transmissions? The 96 has an indicator light in the cluster. Would floor shift be better? Just trying to get ideas. I have the truck completely disassembled and just got my chassis painted. Any input is appreciated!
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

Re: Rear mount fuel tank questions

Welcome Larry S! You're not getting any info from us until you post up some pics.. Just kidding... But seriously, post some pics!

Frizzle Fry has used an original behind the seat tank sending unit in a Blazer tank by welding in the section from the original tank. This might be an option for you.? I don't have an answer on whether or not the 96 will fit without modifying it however.. The original steering column will work with power steering. It mounts to the power steering box exactly where it mounts to the manual box. You may have to modify the shifting levers however.

I hope this helps! Others should have more info as well.
'01 Ranger (I've gotta long commute..)
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=276904
Blue'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
steelhorse

The sending unit wont work with the old style tank without mods.You would be better off buying a fuel cell setup for the pump you want to run.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Kid

your pickup's fuel gage is a 0-90 Ohm gage. Not sure about the 96 model. GM switched at some point but not sure when. You can buy after market sending units with diff. Ohm's Just be sure you get a 0-90 Ohm sender & it'l work fine.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Larry S

Thanks guys for the responses. I know I'll have alot of questions upcoming. Im going to pull the motor/ trans out of the wreck in the next week or two and get it painted and put in the chassis. I have all new floors, cab corners, rockers panels that im going to work on getting put in the next few months. The truck was my grandpas and he used it for farm use and the body was pretty much ate up. I have new fenders, core support and a different bed that needs very little work. Its going to be a challenge to put the fuel injected 5.7 in the truck, but I know it'l be worth it when its done. I got the 96 from a good friend of mine, and I know the truck was maintained very well. His son took it for a ride one night and crashed it.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote