The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
TeamRinaldi

Muffler fitment

Hey all. I'm dropping the truck off sunday to get the new 350 put in (), and want to have the exhaust done while I'm there. I know which headers I want, and I want the flowmaster super 44 mufflers. Question is, which one's do I need? There's a hundred combinations of center and offset pipes, which ones fit an '85 swb? As always, thanks for the wisdom and support.
TeamRinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Re: Muffler fitment

More than likely, it'll be custom bent. If you possibly can, get an X-pipe put in, it's well worth the money. Hopefully your shop can do mandrel bends with their machine. Also, 44s are gonna be kind of loud.. just a heads up.

Last edited by Albatrossian; 09-24-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Albatrossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
TeamRinaldi

I sure hope so! That's why I'm keeping the true dual, but am going with 3" pipes and headers this time. I agree the pipes themselves will most likely be custom bent, and I really want to go with an "X". But what about the mufflers themselves? I want to order the headers and mufflers online so I don't have to pay markup, but I don't know which mufflers to go with. Any one have any idea?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRinaldi View Post
I sure hope so! That's why I'm keeping the true dual, but am going with 3" pipes and headers this time. I agree the pipes themselves will most likely be custom bent, and I really want to go with an "X". But what about the mufflers themselves? I want to order the headers and mufflers online so I don't have to pay markup, but I don't know which mufflers to go with. Any one have any idea?
I'm running Cherry Bomb 3" in/out header mufflers to a 3" X-pipe to dumps over the rear axle. It's not overly loud at idle, but it's got a nice grumble. At speed, it's a comfortable noise level and when you've got your foot in the loud pedal, you can really hear it.I personally think 40 series Flows are too loud for DDs, I'd go with 50 series if I were running them. Have you already figured out what headers you're going with?
Albatrossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
tgh117
Crazy

I would go center in, center out, makes it alot easier to shove them up under there and support them pretty easily. Thats how I have mine setup at the moment with flowmaster 40's, and although my truck is 4wd, I believe the brackets are still in simlar locations. You exhaust guy shouldn't have any issues hangin the mufflers under there. Good luck
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
TeamRinaldi

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Albatrossian I'm going to get the Summit brand G9006-9 headers. I shopped a hundred brands and the specs are the same, these just cost a lot less.