The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2001, 10:08 PM   #1
ChopTop

Post CS Style Alternators

Posted on 67-72 site:
-----------------------------------------
i just converted my 85 C10 to serpentine from an 88 and i am havkng a problem hooking up the alternator. my original wiring is 2 wire (not including the main battery wire on the back) the wires are red/ brown. the new plug on the CS style alt. has red/black/brown. the red and the brown hook the same (red to red, the brown goes to the gauge, but in the middle there is a black wire that the wiring diagrams in mitchell manuel says to splice it in with the red wire. another place (tech line) says to hook to another power source as this is what energizes the alternator. the other power source is to be hot only when ignition is on. ok i did that and i dont know if it was cooincidence but 3 days later my battery went dead completely. now i had a 2 year old walmart battery and everyone knows those batteries ar junk but they replace no questions asked if in 2 years. i replaced the battery and disconnected the black wire. it charges this way but not strong enough at idle. has anyone had any experience or know anyone that has made this mod. i would greatly appreciate any knowledge on this subject please please please. i know it sounds like i am begging, i am. thanx
btw i know this is the 88-98 site but that is what the system came from and i need to post it on the 73-87 site also but i dont want to type it again and i dont know how to move it to that page. if someone knows how to move it can you please so i dont have to type this again, i type real slow. thanx again

------------------
85 C10 350/700r4
HOLLEY STREET DOMINATOR IANTAKE
EDELBROCK 1406 COMP. SERIES CARB.
HYPERTECH POWER COIL
FACTORY HEADERS
MAGNAFLOW CAT/MUFFLER/3in. EXHAUST
3.42 REAR GEARS
PROTHANE SUSPENSION-TOTAL KIT
and still going
"thats my toy"
Jeff Dodson
Angleton,Tx.

Old 07-06-2001, 06:45 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Cool

Chop Top,

I know someone who added a serpentine system to his truck. He also had the same problem with the alternator wiring. I posted a message for him. I directed him to this page. Here is a link on the message post. http://forums.chevytalk.com/forums/F...ML/001110.html

Show a pic if you can. I'm curious on how it looks. I may try it when my new 350 is ready to drop in.

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"
http://www.geocities.com/abetterchemist/
Old 07-06-2001, 07:03 PM   #3
bigd65

gerardo that is my post (JEFF DODSON) i have no idea how that name got on there.

------------------
85 C10 350/700r4
HOLLEY STREET DOMINATOR IANTAKE
EDELBROCK 1406 COMP. SERIES CARB.
HYPERTECH POWER COIL
FACTORY HEADERS
MAGNAFLOW CAT/MUFFLER/3in. EXHAUST
3.42 REAR GEARS
PROTHANE SUSPENSION-TOTAL KIT
and still going
"thats my toy"
Jeff Dodson