The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2001, 10:40 PM   #1
WallySac

Post V-8 Conversion in 1987 S-10

Hey guys I need to know how my 283 with th350 will fit into my 1987 chevy 2wd shortbox standard cab 1.9L Cyl S-10. What do I need to do and don I need a different drive shaft or rearend. I am gonna order a book but wanna know what I am dealin with first. Thanks
WallySac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 10:14 AM   #2
Z16

We have done a few of these conversions, and the best people to talk to are the guys at Jaguars That Run. They sell a book that is the most in depth S10 V8 conversion guide there is. You can find them at www.jagsthatrun.com. This will also be the most cost effective way of doing it as well. They do supply motor mounts, but there are also plans in their book for building them. This book tells you every part you will need for this swap. I wouldn't do the swap again without this book. You can get away with the stock rearend( it's simular to one in a Camaro), the driveshaft lenght depends on the transmission used, but normally only needs minor shortening, and you will need a different radiator(usually a Corvette one..don't worry it's cheap). Other then that, as long as you have some basic mechanical skills, this is a very simple swap

------------------
71 Sierra
98 Sierra
98 GMC Sierra Ex Cab, cowl hood, Euro LED lights, 30 bar billet, Whipple Supercharged 350 Vortec: Forged flattops, E-Tec aluminum heads, Comp Cam, Scat crank and rods, Granatelli Mass air flow, Headers, Flowmaster exhaust , Complete MSD Ignition, Custom Tuning, intake spacer , ported throttle body, AC Delco port injection upgrade, Roller Rockers, Power Pulleys. Gear Vendors Overdrive. Soon to hit a dyno. 2/4 drop(for now).

95 Chevy S-10 Ex Cab 4.3 5 Speed 2/3 drop, Euro lights, billet grill, More to come. The Daily Driver
Z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:41 PM   #3
WallySac

Hey thanks man! How much would a radiator like that be (new or used) and how what is the best way to shorten the drive shaft? I have already seen this JTR book online. I am ordering one tonight seeing from you that they are good. Thanks again.
WallySac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 05:49 AM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Z16,

Thanks for the link. I would like to own a mid 80's Jag with a V8. I drove one converted with a Vette 350!! I had the thing up to 100+ in no time!!! Posi on one of those cars is awsome.

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"
http://www.geocities.com/abetterchemist/