The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
67chevytruckguy

67 C10 six cylinder to small block swap help?

I have a 67 that originally had a 250 six with a manual 4 speed. I want to put a 327 in it with the original transmission. If I use the small block engine frame mounts the bell housing doesn't match the cross member. If I move the cross member forward then the shifter is into the dash and firewall. If I use the 6 cylinder engine frames the the motor will be right against the firewall. I'm sure 67's came with a small block and manual 4spd. What part of the puzzle am I missing or what is there that I don't understand about this set up?

Some Help?
67chevytruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
bhoeger70

Re: 67 C10 six cylinder to small block swap help?

bolt it in, it is close to the firewall but it will go in, been there done it.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

personally, i would just place the engien in the inline six location. There will be enough room for a large cap HEI, and if you install a fan shroud, you can either get a 4X4 piece (they were mounted back that far) or you can put a later model long water pump on the engine, and use a 2 wheel drive V8 piece.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevytruckguy View Post
I have a 67 that originally had a 250 six with a manual 4 speed. I want to put a 327 in it with the original transmission. If I use the small block engine frame mounts the bell housing doesn't match the cross member. If I move the cross member forward then the shifter is into the dash and firewall. If I use the 6 cylinder engine frames the the motor will be right against the firewall. I'm sure 67's came with a small block and manual 4spd. What part of the puzzle am I missing or what is there that I don't understand about this set up?

Some Help?
What do you mean by the bell housing does not match the cross member? I have never done a swap using a floor shift transmission, but have done several 250 6 cyl/ 3 on the tree to 350 auto swap. I got the SB V8 frame stands and auto trans cross member from a donor truck, ground the rivets holding the6 cyl mid mount, installed the V8 stands and auto cross member, and dropped the 350/ auto in w/ no problem.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
airdale94

I just went through this on my 68 V8 when I changed it back to a 4 speed. (bought 6 cyl. stuff) The 6 cyl. engine mounts are different as you know. The trans. crossmembers are different also. The shifters are also different.

LM is right alot run theirs in the 6 cyl. pos. Me personally I wanted mine correct and I'm glad I repurchased V8 stuff but I really went in the hole.

If you move it to the V8 pos. You will also need to lengthen the front part of your driveshaft.

Wideside 72- The 4-speeds cross member bolt to the bellhousing as they have no tailshaft.

The 6 cyl. x-memb. won't bolt in the correct V8 position 1 set of holes are about a 1/2" off.

Last edited by airdale94; 10-17-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
ED67C20

I did this swap on my 67 C20. 292 to 350. I went with v8 frame stands - so the clutch linkage z bar is lined up straight across from the frame to the ball on the bellhousing, v8 crossmember is shorter so it fits farther forward between the frame rails, v8 shifter is bent angled back to clear the dash, v8 floor hump - the hole is forward more. I should have bought a new floor mat, I just hacked the hole out bigger. I had the front driveshaft made longer. I wish I went with a v8 four speed tranny. The gear ratios in each gear are different. My truck will lug way down in 4th gear when I am towing, so I shift to 3rd then I'm rippin at 4000 rpm's. The v8 4 speed trans has reverse over and down by 4th gear. My brother has a 67 c10 283 4 speed and that's how it is. My 6 trans has reverse over and down by 2nd gear. I either need a v8 4 speed trans or go to an automatic. Can't decide. Hope this helps.
ED67C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
bhoeger70

just yank the six out and sell it. the bolt the v-8 in you can even use the motor mounts. the engine will sit back but not any farther than in a 4x4, then nothing else will need to be changed. you will need the brackets for the alt. though.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
WIDESIDE72

Wideside 72- The 4-speeds cross member bolt to the bellhousing as they have no tailshaft.

Did you mean that the 4 speeds do not use a crossmember and the only thing that holds them in is the bell housing? I understand that, as my dad's 71 GMC is like that with the 250 and 3 spd.

IMO, if you are going to run a V8, you need to convert everything to V8, otherwise you are creating the possibility of future headaches.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

As mentioned above you can use the mounts as they are even with the tight fit.

I had an accident on a previous vehicle where the impact moved the engine enough to break the distributor so I used the front v8 position on this one. Worked well for many years but I didn't like the fact that it made the truck a little squirrely in front. Made somewhat front heavy.

I have since read that that new springs are made so that they will handle both 6 and 8 cylinder engines. Also, since I converted mine, they've come out with new distributors that are smaller in diameter...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote