The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
bowtieboy93

Radio

My dad has a 1997 GMC Yukon and the CD player is screwed. It hates to play cds so we are going to get a new one. The CD player is auxillary so is separate from the radio lower in the dash with a tape player in the radio head unit. I was wondering if you can upgrade that stereo to say a 2000 or newer and everything would work, or if you have to mess with the wiring harness a bit for it to fit, or if it will even fit in the dash! I want a newer one with a CD player in it and where the CD player is I want to replace that with the factory pocket that goes inside. Thanks for any help!
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
bwood

Re: Radio

It would probably be cheaper to pick out an aftermartket unit. You will need an install kit, wiring adapter and if you want to remove the factory cd player, check with your GM dealer, they have a OEM pocket (about $22 for the one I bought for my dad) that fits in the hole that went into the trucks that didn't come with a cd player. The pocket, wiring adapter and dash install kit should run you about $50 and the sky is the limit on the cd player $100 and up. I like Pioneer units, they are very flexible, sound good and are reliable. I have had 4 units and never had a failure, in fact the first one I purchased is in a friends truck (it has actually been in 5 different trucks and one of the was totaled in a front end collision and is now in the friends truck i mentioned). As far as putting a newer style OEM stereo in your truck, I don't know. I don't imagine it would be that cheap and I would assume that the brackets that hold yours in place would not transfer to the newer stereo. Good Luck.

Check out these guys for more info on installing an aftermarket unit: www.crutchfield.com
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F

Last edited by bwood; 04-07-2007 at 09:14 PM.
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
bowtieboy93

I would like to go aftermarket but knowing my dad hes in his forties and he has had aftermarket stereos in the last 3 vehicles he has owned but we dont want to go aftermarket again one main reason we would put in our subs and amp but where I live we dont want to mess around with having to take out a faceplate and subs every night plus the possiblility of someone stealing the head unit. We have had our (sold) suburban broken into twice in our driveway a 2004 lincoln navigator limo (first one in Canada) which with the idiots around here someone broke into it and lit it on fire a couple of months later. And about 8 years ago had a car broken into and was stolen and torched as well.
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
bwood

Well then you might try some of your local stereo shops and see if they might have a newer factory unit to check out. I know GM uses a factory unit that has the cd player in the unit itself instead of the remote player under it. If you could come across one that will work in your dash, you could take the old player out and install the factory pocket (I like the pocket on mine, makes a good catch-all). I think GM put the remote player under the unit to allow the use of cassettes and cds. You might also try wrecking yards to see if they might have a used one from a wrecked vehicle.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
98 Custom

Is there any security settings with the original stereo that I have to worry about when I take it out. I am looking at replaceing mine with an aftermarket one since my stereo lights are starting to go out on me.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I'm guessing by your S/N that yours is a '98. You'll need a couple modules and a wiring harness adapter to make your radio function like factory because the factory head unit does everything but slice and dice tomatoes.

It makes the beeps for the open door alarms, check engine, oil lvl, etc. If the truck has OnStar then you'll need another adapter as well.

Peripheral makes all the components you'll need and an install kit from Metra Electronics should take you a long ways.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote