The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
jollygreen

1st Post and even more questions!

Hi y'all, I've been reading the site for the past couple of weeks and liked what I saw and decided to join since I recently (few days ago) bought my first Chevy. It's a 1967 C20 Fleetside (secretly wanted the '64 step but the guy was being a jerk about it) with a newly rebuilt 350 and standard transmission. A little bit about my backround? well.....nothing really. I am by far means no mechanic but I've been told this is the truck, and the engine to learn on so I'm quite excited. I'd like to do a few projects over the long Thanksgiving holiday seeing that I'll be able to take ample time off (about 4-5 days) and was wondering if y'all could give me a few suggestions. I'll list what I'd like to see accomplished.
I know I need to replace the fuel sending unit inside the gas tank, cheap fix from what I hear and that doesn't seem to be a big issue other than getting the bench seat down, any suggestions? (I was yanking on the thing and it barely budged) The second thing is the guy I bought the truck from gave me some 'newer' headers, the ones on there seem ok but they have what looks like rust and paint peeling off so I think I'd feel better with replacing those, and I'm sure I can manage that on my own.
The stuff where I start to wonder about is an altenator conversion? Why do I need it (I don't exactly know what I have), I have no worries about it, especially anything electrical considering thats my field, just curious. Also, the truck came with 3 fuel tanks, pretty sure going to get rid of the pasenger side one but the one on the drivers side under the bed is apparently going to need some cleaning. Found a kit online that is supposed to do it, just wanted to know what y'all thought about those or if I should scrap it and just try to find a new one. I think the kit is about 60 bucks but to get a new one would cost me about twice that I believe.
That's about it for now! I'm at work (oops) and will most likely post pictures later if there's any questions (which I'm sure there will be!). Thanks for all your help!
jollygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Re: 1st Post and even more questions!

Well, welcome to the site from the land of endless sun!

We would love to see some pics of your new ride. Another member who has a '67 is alright in my book! I understand what you are saying about the '64 step, those are some awesome looking trucks, I would love to have one.

As far as your questions go, ask away!!! Someone is bound to know the answer to just about everything you can ask about these trucks.

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 11-24-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

to the board from Mid-MO!!!

You'll find this place to become your second home. There's tons of information, friends, parts, .... and so much more.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

In regards to the tank, I think the best bet would be to pull the one down and take it to a radiator shop for a good steam cleaning and inspection.

The kit you found for $60 - is it for cleaning or sealing the tank?

Headers are not too big of a job unless a header bolt breaks - then that sucks. Be aware the newer set might not meet the existing exhaust in the same place, so you might have to go to an exhaust shop to get your existing system attached.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
jollygreen

Jack, thanks for the reply! The guy I bought the truck from said he had cleaned out the main tank which has proved a little unruly, he changed the fuel filter a week or two before I bought it and then we had to change it the day I bought it literally 5 miles after I had purchased it! I'm assuming the same problems with the next tank but I've heard both take it to a radiator shop or just do the home cleeaning kit myself.
The cleaning kit I was referring to was something like the KBS Auto Fuel Tank Sealer Kit. I don't mean to name drop but I just wanted to give you an idea of what I was talking about, if that would be acceptable. Again I have no real guidelines, just kind of going from what I read and what I feel like I can trust. The kit claims on their website it "clean, prep, and seal" a tank.
I plan on picking up a auto manual before digging my hands into the headers this weekend. Any suggestions? I had a few for my Jeep and never really noticed any difference between them.

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell - TM

1967 Chevy C-20 Fleetside "Mr. Ron Burgundy"
Old 11-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
jollygreen

Another question I had was how can I tell if I have a generator vs. an altenator and how easy/why would I want/need to swap the two?

I've heard basically the intensity of my lights will go up and my wipers will go faster as more gas applied. Any suggestions out there?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygreen View Post
I plan on picking up a auto manual before digging my hands into the headers this weekend. Any suggestions? I had a few for my Jeep and never really noticed any difference between them.
Haynes or Chilton, it's up to you, but consider getting the Chassis Service Manual for your year truck as well. Welcome from Los Angeles.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Welcome to the board.

On the headers, I would not touch the ones on there unless they are leaking or rusted through. Paint will not stay on any of them, and unless they are cermacoated, they are going to nasty and rusty no mattter what you do. Its just the nature of the beast.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

It would have come with an alternator, but it would be an externally regulated type. The common swap is to a newer style, higher amp, internally regulated alternator. Just do a search, and I'm sure you'll find a good read up on it.

My trucks

Old 11-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Here's a good one I had bookmarked in my favorites.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/alt-conversion.html

My trucks

Old 11-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
jollygreen

awesome! thanks a lot for your help! I'm sure kragen or auto zone won't have a higher amp alt. but I'm sure I can find something online

Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
awesome! thanks a lot for your help! I'm sure kragen or auto zone won't have a higher amp alt. but I'm sure I can find something online
If you switch to a later model internally regulated alternator it'll most likely have more amps then the alternator the truck came with.
There's a FAQ here somewhere on the swap.

Last edited by Sinister; 11-24-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Almost any newer stock replacement alternator would put out more amps than the stock one.

My trucks

Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #14
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here's the FAQ ---http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=119379

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 11-24-2008 at 06:57 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If the headlights get brighter as you rev the engine, sounds to me like the voltage regulator may not be kosher. Is the battery holding a charge like it should? What is the voltage at the battery? It should be in the range of 12.7 to 13.8 volts if it is fully charged. The idea of changing alternators has to do with eliminating the external voltage regular, and going to what is known as a 1-wire alternator. That conversion will require a change to your wiring. There are companies that sell a conversion wiring harness and there are plenty of folks who can tell you how to wire it w/o replacing the harness.

As for pulling the seat, do you really need to remove the seat to change the sending unit, or can you slide the seat as far forward as it will go. Will doing that give you enough room to work behind the seat? Granted, it will be a lot easier to work on it without the seat in place. The bolts that hold it in are on the inside and outside of the legs, so eight in total. Once they're out, get a buddy and you can remove the seat. You may/may not have to unbolt the seat belts, so you'll just have to find out for yourself.

As for the two additional gas tanks, do you really need them? They were added on by someone who may have had a need, like a slide-in camper, or a travel trailer, or maybe just a work need. But, the extra tanks were not stock and they're not caged, so a side impact may not be desirable if it could rupture one of them.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #16
leddzepp

You can coat your headers with POR 15 high temp paint. I have used it for years and it will NOT burn off. Do a web search on "POR 15" they have some really killer products. I have used all of them and am very satisfied.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 AM   #17
jollygreen

LoRay, thanks for all the detailed details! Ha! The headlights do get brighter as I rev the engine, I noticed this after I left Kragen unfortunately and had to get back home, I'll be sure to check up on the battery tomorrow with a multimeter, it really doesn't look in too great of shape but who's to know until I actually measure it.

I'm not too afraid of a conversion of wiring, I'm an electronics tech by trade and I've looked at some diagrams that another member gave me on here to swap from an external to internal and its very helpful if you even know just the mere basics of wiring/flow; but thanks for the caution! (If anyone else wants the site to it just let me know, I believe it's replies before this one.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/alt-conversion.html

a LOT of thanks to 67_C-30 for that one!

As for the bench, I can pull the passengers side about 6in. forward but it won't stay like that without pressure applied, the drivers side I'm afraid is much worse. It only gives about 2in. maybe, I believe the bench may be aftermarket. The "handle" on the side of the seat underneath the drivers side doesn't seem to give, I may just need to give it a good lesson with a hammer.

While we're on that topic, I bought the "sending unit" but I think it may be a fuel pump, I'll post pictures later tonight or tomorrow to check with y'all, but it doesn't look like what I thought it would (keep in mind that this is the first one I've ever seen as well).

I'm thinking removing the seat might be the best way to truly get a hang of what I'm working with and a good chance to just overlook the whole gas tank and spot, if any, signs of aging that need to be looked at closer anyways.

The additional tanks aren't really that important. I'm driving it back to Texas (maybe) to use as a driver when I go home for leave and don't have a vehicle to get around and drive to the city when need be.
I just thought it might be nice to have the additional distance although I do find every refill I usually need to make personal break anyways so I really will take your 'side impact' into thought.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #18
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

Welcome i can say watch what you say here thats a heads up
shounds like a nice truck

i am working on a 1967 chevy 3/4 ton long wheel base 4speed a/c small block 292 soon fleet side long bed truck
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #19
jollygreen

this is not what I thought the fuel sending unit was/would be, I think it's some type of fuel pump? any help/suggestions. when I approached the guy at the store he said it was the right thing...

Last edited by jollygreen; 11-25-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: bad pic
Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
Sinister
Between Trucks...

You're correct, that's a fuel pump. You might have to try a board vendor to get the sending unit if it's not available at a parts house.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #21
tinlid

That is a fuel pump. Look on the passenger side at the front side of the engine. Are the 2 other tanks hooked up? If you clean a tank you also need to seal it after its cleaned. If not, whatever the cleaning didn't get will end up in your fuel filter.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote