The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Jet Blue 68

Looking for reassurance.. to cut up my baby

Hello everyone. I have a 1968 SWB Chevy C-10 Fleetside. Been driving every chance I get but recently... the front drum brakes and master are not performing like they should. So out they go. I could just rebuild but why not upgrade? I've been saving up money and buying parts for a while in anticipation of this. After reading up on this site I've decided to order a kit from ECE for the front. I want to keep my truck "mostly original" but upgrade it. I've already replaced the 250 with a 350, but other than that it's bare bones (painted bumpers option only ) stock. Not perfect but nowhere near junk. I also have parts to do the power steering (70 model donor). That's everything I'm 100% on doing...

While I've got everything apart I would love to also bag it though! Not dropped to frame- I believe ART's front kit and my stock rear converted to airbags would do. They have a 70-72 shop truck in their ad that gave me inspiration to set the stance. I have the factory trailing arm (coils) in the rear, and would rather go with a under the bed notch. Basically similar to what the rear ART kit is. What I'm really undecided on (paranoid about) is notching the rear...

I have a great friend who is about to open a shop, I'm not a welder but he is.
I know my truck is no more special than the next guy but I don't want to f-it up or turn it into scrap. So I guess my real reason for starting this is a simple question:

How many people out there are running an under the bed notch, welded or bolted in (or both!)? Any recommendations for a paranoid first time notcher?
Jet Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
LuckyHenriksen

Re: Looking for reassurance.. to cut up my baby

No experience, but they definitely look way better when the notch is hidden under the bed
Senior Project
Build Thread Here
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
heavy71chevy

My best advice for doing a notch is make sure the welds have good penetration and make sure its straight and square before you cut out your stock frame rail or else its gonna buckle...its not all that hard to do just requires patience and a good solid plan...good luck and we need pics!!! lol

Last edited by heavy71chevy; 11-23-2008 at 07:43 PM.
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I sense your concern over modifying your truck is perhaps taking away some of the value. While there are those that might disagree, mild modifications to your truck will enhance the value as well as desirability.

With that said, a mild c-notch with out cutting the bed is all you need. With some minor modifications you can have a truck that retains the classic stock appearance while having the advantage of a fully adjustable suspension.

Go ahead and cut it up, it's only metal...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

On a coil-sprung truck, you can drop it 6-inches in the rear, without having to notch the frame. You would need to use an adjustable panhard rod, or track bar. My truck is dropped 2.5/4.0, from ECE. Stock height springs up front. I want to drop it another inch up front and go 1 or 2 more down south out back. Stactic drop is my main interest, although an AirLift air spring does interest me out back. It would let me vary the rear and also give me some ability to haul stuff.

You won't be sorry for having used ECE components. Stan and his guys are great to work with and will answer any questions you may have.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Jet Blue 68

Thanks everyone. I'm wondering how many people run this set up if for nothing else cuz all the components are there... I'm mechanically inclined but reluctant to do much modifying from stock typically. I tend to want to overdo things. Bolt in is best for me cause I could always un-bolt it (Talkin bout everything but the notch here, of course ) Funny- I've lowered a sport bike by engineering & machining a lowering link out of aluminum, but when it comes to something as simple as a c-notch on my truck frame I get so apprehensive. but I'm a machinist not a welder And I would rather keep the option of going back to stock because hopefully someday I'll be an old man with a really old truck, and I might go crazy and want to restore it. I am after all keeping the factory engine and everything else just incase...
Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

If it were me and you wanted to get as low as possible without major modification, I would run the 4/6 kit from ECE. Everything involved in this kit is entirely bolt on and if you wanted to change back remove the spindles/springs and bing bang boom your stock again.

If I have an original (slightly modified) truck I would go this route, but just my $.02.

Good luck with the decision!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
matthufham

lowering it 6 inches doesn't require a notch, unless you drive the truck

because 1 inch of clearance between the axle and the frame lets you know when there's a bump in the road.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Jet Blue 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
If it were me and you wanted to get as low as possible without major modification, I would run the 4/6 kit from ECE. Everything involved in this kit is entirely bolt on and if you wanted to change back remove the spindles/springs and bing bang boom your stock again.

If I have an original (slightly modified) truck I would go this route, but just my $.02.

Good luck with the decision!
Thanks,
I have seriously considered just lowering it with springs, as it would be much cheaper and less stressful. But from pictures I've seen, and the benefits of adjustment I really want to bag it to get it lower than a 4/6 drop. Of course I'm only really using visual references.
I know if I don't do it now it will drive me crazy. (I have been obsessing over this for a while, but it's much easier to plan out than do..) Either way I don't think I'll get around notching it to do what I want. Plus it will keep me from dropping it any further, because I won't do it twice or make it un-restorable; other than the notch. Real subtle mods, just cleaning it up like a hot-rodder would. I'm just paranoid because it's my first time doing frame modification and I still want to be able to drive my truck and use it. It will always be a truck!