The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #26
1956cameo

Re: not such a burbarific day :(

The same thing happened to me in college about 5 years ago. On the last day of school with all my dorm crap piled into my 1970 chevy truck it wouldnt start. Spent a couple hours trying to start it, with help from all the resident "mechanics". Tried ether, gas down carb, pulled plugs, everything. Then noticed no fire and one of the guy said whats this wire go to. I plugged it in and of course instant start. Felt a little red faced; especially since everyone saw since they were loading their cars to go home. Oh well at least was able to head home before giving up and having my dad drive all the way down to figure the problem out.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 11-29-2008 at 07:17 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #27
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I had the HEI plug come off on me a few weeks ago. Same spot too, right in front of wall mart by the shop.... there I am rollin down the road, engine stalled (I thought I was out of gas) and I was rollin trying to crank it up, but no dice... two of wall mart oil chainge kids saw me and ran out to help get me out of the buisy intersection. I get out... in mechanick uniform. Called one of the guys from work to run over with the fuel can that I had just filled for the shop... dumped it in, then when I pulled the air filter off to splash some in the carb... I saw the HEI 12 volt wire hanging out of place.
I'm glad they didn't see that.
That is like when I blew the transmission out of my truck, did it right in front of my work, stuck my foot in it and the tranny blew parts right out the bottom. OOPS!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #28
cparman
sharp as a marble

I have two damn fine young men who work for me, and both have been thru two years of training at the local JR. college. I think alot of both of them, and I am old enough to be their dad. The other day we had a 56 Mustang in the shop, and one of my older guys was installing a Pertronix ignition in the Mustang. I said to Dave ( my age ) lets have some fun. Called the youngins over and asked them to look at what Dave was doing. I asked them if they knew what THAT was. One is very quiet, and the other a bit more cocky. The cocky one says " Oh the is the magnetic pickup for the electronic ignition " That is about the time Dave removed the points and condensor. They had ' heard ' about points but never seen them. I used to charge up condensors and take them with me to high school. My buds would see me comming and if I had my hands behind my back they would run. Man that was fun
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #29
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

just for fun... I'll ask for a pic of the 56 mustang!

I have to say, I don't mess with points. I was born in 74, and I just haven't seen the point in learning them. We had a 74 C/40 dump truck come in, the job was given to me, and I told the boss man... I ain't messin with that, I'm goin to the jun k yard for an HEI.
Fired right up when I stabbed it in there too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #30
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
just for fun... I'll ask for a pic of the 56 mustang!

I have to say, I don't mess with points. I was born in 74, and I just haven't seen the point in learning them. We had a 74 C/40 dump truck come in, the job was given to me, and I told the boss man... I ain't messin with that, I'm goin to the jun k yard for an HEI.
Fired right up when I stabbed it in there too.
I just went through all that, I stuffed a MSD 6AL and Pro Billet Dizzy in my blazer with a 6AL box, freed up a ton of power.