The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Re: How hard to replace gas tank and all associated hardware?

Oh my God...you're not gonna believe this.

I was under there trying to siphon some gas from the tank, with my mouth for the record (desperate times call for desperate measures), to make sure it was pulling through, and when some started to come through, I hooked it to the pump...it blew it out.

I grabbed the flashlight and moved it to the bottom of the electric fuel pump so fast I almost broke my arm. And what should I see... IN - OUT...reversed. Even though I had mounted an identical model pump in the exact same configuration, every time I was under there I did it in low light and failed to notice the bottom of the pump.

Since, naturally it could be assumed that if it was mounted the same way before, it'd work this way, right?

WRONG.

For some reason, the pump they gave me must have been configured for a driver side frame rail placement, either that or my old one was for the passenger side, or whatever. Bottom line: The pump was blowing, not sucking.

So...I replaced everything but the pump for nothing.

Oh well. I'm glad everything is replaced in retrospect...but what a price for stupidity.

Last edited by D-Day; 12-11-2008 at 08:51 PM.
D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote