The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
t_shirtsnjeans

Re: '65, big back window and extended cab ??'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
you can convert to a big back window:
there is a guy on ebay that sells a handformed inner panel that you can use, or if your metal skills are good you can just cut and weld up what you have.
leave about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of metal for a pinch weld on the outside.
cut the inner panel long-leave yourself about 4 inches- clamp the inner to the new outer pinch weld.
plug weld the whole thing.
then trim off the excess inner metal.
you wil have to rework the 4 inner corners a bit .

keep your 65 frame just transfer what you want off the 74 to it.

chopping:
if you are lucky you can get the windshield cut, or sand blasted without it breaking, but plan for the worst , and be ready to buy a new one if you have to.

all your side glass and rear window are flat, and should be relatively cheap for a glass shop to cut new ones for you if you provide the patterns.

Thank you for the info. I have the cab for the 74 so I can gut the metal from that for its frame.
What are the differences in the sizes of back windows from the 60's to the 70's? And what are the differences in shapes? I could possibly use a window(sliding perhaps) from any year or the mid to late 70's cabs since I have a couple. I know (or could easily) the dimensions to the later windows but only have reference to small backs with what I have.
I really don't plan on a show truck, mainly practical, or more in the rat rod realm since I don't have those kind of skills or time for a primo ride.
Again thank you all.
2-86 Chevy Suburbans 4x4's
74 K5 Blazer 4x4
91 Isuzu Trooper 4x4
94 S-10 Blazer 4x4 (GONE! Traded straight for another '86 Suburban 4x4!!!, I see a major project coming soon!!!!)
t_shirtsnjeans is offline   Reply With Quote