The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
hensonjd

stainless steel headers?

Has anyone ever used these or does anyone have any opinions on these headers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAIN...1%7C240%3A1318
hensonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
70GMCer

Re: stainless steel headers?

I have never used them, but I have read on here that they do turn blueish shortly after running them. Also it is said that they hold the heat longer.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
dfosh

I have looked at them at car showes. They dont look real bad made in China im sure the flange is thick enough . A friend bought some price is around 200 bucks for shorties . Blue is better than brown ,but i think from quality i saw these will rust some in time .
dfosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I saved that sellers info for when I`m ready for some.But,man that`s awful cheap for stainless.All stainless blues/turns from heat,no matter the price.Before considering buying these I planned to ask around like you are.
I think for keeping good looks you can`t beat ceramic coating.Prevents rust,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

I have a set. Haven't put them on yet, but the construction and quality looks to be real nice. Big, thick flange, nice welds, and beautiful polishing. I figured ya couldn't go wrong for that price.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Senator350

I have a set.
I have them installed... well... fitted.
I had to bring them to my welder, and buy some stainless bends, and have them modified.

on my 60's 327ci I have ...461 heads, plug #1 was VERY close to #1 primary, so close I couldn't get a boot on, even with my accel shorty plugs. Also, frame clearance was VERY tight on driver side. I believe mine are straight plug heads... angle plugs may be a different story.

Again, I have a mid 1960's 327. My engine is mounted in the furthest back location (there is another option for engine mounts/ closer to the radiator)
I had to have 1" added between at flange @ #1 plug
I had to have the #1 tube bent away from my frame rail.

Not to mention I'll have to pollish all of the stainless that gets welded in.

the hardware is only PLATED stainless, and it will ding and gouge and rust QUICKLY! my hardware is already rusty. I'm going to get some black oxidized allen head hardware for my entire engine (one of these days)

*edit: the welds look good. but i'm sure they are tigged stainless, which should be pretty standard in quality. I'm also sure they are from china. they came in a box with no information (NONE), and customer service was a full refund for sending them back... not paying for any modifications or replacement.

I just figure that with the material i bought and the welding and pollishing, I'll be spending the same as a set of ready to rust "blow"masters... and MUCH less than some stainless Tri-Y's. I'll get those too... some day

Last edited by Senator350; 01-10-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Senator350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Senator350

ttt
Old 01-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

These look exactly like the same bends that my Heddman headers have. It maybe a chinese copy of the same thing.. At any rate. in the stock 350 location they clear everything fine. May need to fab up some heat shields for the starter and solenoid to be safe. I did for the heck of it when the truck had no gas tank. I think as mentioned above, it was my #1 cylinder that was pretty close to the tube, but an angle boot is a centimeter or so away... Good idea to keep some spark plug boots with you just in case. But, they seem solidly built, good welds and bends and a thick flandge.

But mine are the steel Heddman headers of course, but these stainless ones look about identical.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote