The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
originalJD
James

Well, I wish I could say more about the progress of my truck. BUT....

All the little things count too. Resently I bought all new ignition component such as keys and lock, ignition switch, voltage regulator and some other stuff. And just yesterday I got my rear tail lamp harness. I don't have the money to buy a complete harnes for the truck so I have decided to just buy one harness at a time from more to least needed. The good news here is that I finally have the truck registered. Now all I gotta do is bolt in the rear wheel wells stick some exhaust under it and it's a daily driver.

The harness I just got. Was cheaper ordering from Classic than LMC.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...e_top_view_all
originalJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Re: Well, I wish I could say more about the progress of my truck. BUT....

One step at a time....
Sometimes waiting for parts is the hardest job you'll do.
Keep posting progress and lots of pics.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Barebones66

Take your time man, do it the way you want it done. First thing I did was title, tags and registration but I doubt it sees the road anytime soon.

The truck I bought fired right up, smoked a little but I thought for sure i'd use it as a daily driver. 2 weeks into it I have things all torn up and jumpin in.

I tore out my gas tank to have it redone, rebuilt the 1 barrel carb, tore off the valve cover to assess a few things, painted air cleaner, picked up an engine hoist, engine stand so it's settled.... she ain't movin. I really thought i'd be driving it by now too. Im gonna take my time and do it the way I want it done. One step at a time bro.

Your truck looks awesome. Love the way it sits, I wouldn't change a thing

1st project 66 SWB
Dave
Barebones66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Every little thing you buy for or do to the truck makes it better and puts it one step closer to where you want it to be.

Sounds to me like you'll have a "DD" very soon.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
LILRED66
Account Suspended

One thing I do on every one of my 4-5-6 Chevy truck projects is, sit down and make a list of everything I want to do/need to do/would like to do. By doing so, I feel I have a plan and can mark things off the list, when completed. There is also a sense of accomplishment when the list is completed, but it is a good way to determine what task to tackle, depending on the time I have.

If I have an hour, I find an item that will take an hour or less. If I have half a day, I embark on an item that requires 4 hours. If I have a whole weekend, I proceed accordingly.

Doing a list helps me sleep at night because I don't lay awake thinking about all the things I want to do or need to do. It also helps me dream-build, which is a good excercise.

In any case, congratulations on your progress and keep us posted with lots of pictures.

PS-I have a few sets of Rally wheels and caps like yours. I cut some light gauge stainless steel disks and glued them into the open caps on the front. I also purchased a set of four bowtie stickers on eBay and put them on four caps, so I didn't have the 4x4 caps on my 2wd truck.

Thanks for sharing and make sure you post lots of pix.

Last edited by LILRED66; 02-15-2009 at 03:05 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalJD View Post
All the little things count too. Resently I bought all new ignition component such as keys and lock, ignition switch, voltage regulator and some other stuff. And just yesterday I got my rear tail lamp harness. I don't have the money to buy a complete harnes for the truck so I have decided to just buy one harness at a time from more to least needed. The good news here is that I finally have the truck registered. Now all I gotta do is bolt in the rear wheel wells stick some exhaust under it and it's a daily driver.

The harness I just got. Was cheaper ordering from Classic than LMC.
Congratulations and looking good JD. And as far as the complete harness goes, have you by chance looked at the EZ Wiring 21-circuit harness? $185 for the whole kit. And the little things definitely do count when it comes to making a really good truck.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
originalJD
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by retodd7711 View Post
One step at a time....
Sometimes waiting for parts is the hardest job you'll do.
Keep posting progress and lots of pics.
For me it's the saveing up for parts thats the hardest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barebones66 View Post
Take your time man, do it the way you want it done. First thing I did was title, tags and registration but I doubt it sees the road anytime soon.

The truck I bought fired right up, smoked a little but I thought for sure i'd use it as a daily driver. 2 weeks into it I have things all torn up and jumpin in.

I tore out my gas tank to have it redone, rebuilt the 1 barrel carb, tore off the valve cover to assess a few things, painted air cleaner, picked up an engine hoist, engine stand so it's settled.... she ain't movin. I really thought i'd be driving it by now too. Im gonna take my time and do it the way I want it done. One step at a time bro.

Your truck looks awesome. Love the way it sits, I wouldn't change a thing
At one time I had this truck stripped completely down to bare frame. I hated to see it sit there in peices. The reason I say I wish I could say more about the progress is the fact that I've been workin on it for 5+ yrs now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
Every little thing you buy for or do to the truck makes it better and puts it one step closer to where you want it to be.

Sounds to me like you'll have a "DD" very soon.
Yes. Very soon I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
One thing I do on every one of my 4-5-6 Chevy truck projects is, sit down and make a list of everything I want to do/need to do/would like to do. By doing so, I feel I have a plan and can mark things off the list, when completed. It also is a sense of accomplishments when the list is completed, but it is a good way to determine what task to tackled, depending on the time I have.

If I have an hour, I find an item that will take an hour or less. If I have half a day, I embark on an item that requires 4 hours. If I have a whole weekend, I proceed accordingly.

Doing a list helps me sleep at night because I don't lay awake thinking about all the things I want to do or need to do. It also helps me dream-build, which is a good excercise.

In any case, congratulations on your progress and keep us posted with lots of pictures.

PS-I have a few sets of Rally wheels and caps like yours. I cut some light gauge stainless steel disks and glued them into the open caps on the front. I also purchased a set of four bowtie stickers on eBay and put them on four caps, so I didn't have the 4x4 caps on my 2wd truck.

Thanks for sharing and make sure you post lots of pix.
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like you've been doing this for a little while I actually do have a list from high to low priority. High to low because I do plane to drive it before I'm finished with everything I wanna do to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
Congratulations and looking good JD. And as far as the complete harness goes, have you by chance looked at the EZ Wiring 21-circuit harness? $185 for the whole kit. And the little things definitely do count when it comes to making a really good truck.
I am certainly going to keep that in mind. Sounds much better than $699.00

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...e_top_view_all
originalJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Corts60
Just here to tinker

That's about as fast as I am moving these days...I haven't even touched my GMC in about 3 months. It's hard sometimes, but work and money do get in the way...

LILRED66- That is really good advice. I think I might try that out too!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote