The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
sams442

Fuel pump push rod problem

How about some help guys. I have to run an electric fuel pump on my 82 truck because two different times my push rod has mushroomed on the end that goes against the camshaft. The end flares or mushrooms so bad It won't slide out! Had to pull the cam and grind the shaft down on the end so it would slide out. Gave me a chance to put a 268 comp cam in any way! Also installed new push rod and fuel pump. Everything was fine for about two weeks when all of a sudden no fuel pressure. had to go back to electric. Any help would be great. Thanks
sams442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

Re: Fuel pump push rod problem

It must be binding up some how. Could the bolt in the pushrod hole be too long?
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Heed what heavy says. In the front of the eng there are holes drilled and taped for a front eng mount. One of those holes goes into the pushrod passage. It should be only
1\2" long. Was the side of the old pushrod scored up at all? Thats about the only thing that will cause your problem. Even if the old pump froze solid the push rod would bend\break the pump arm and slide down away from the cam. If you have any accessories bolted into this hole check the free length of the bolts. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
sams442

Thanks guys but that was one of the first things I checked. Found no marks on the side of pushrod. I'm thinking the hole drilled for the rod might be off or something. The motor came from Advance and was a Recon Reman. unit. Don't know that that matters!
sams442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
SSC's76
No No

Quote:
Originally Posted by sams442 View Post
Thanks guys but that was one of the first things I checked. Found no marks on the side of pushrod. I'm thinking the hole drilled for the rod might be off or something. The motor came from Advance and was a Recon Reman. unit. Don't know that that matters!
Yea thats the problem there. lol no but yeah there stuff isnt too great but it if runs it runs. I have seen this problem with aftermarket fuel pumps those shiney edelbrock pumps had a disclaimer about it a few years back too much spring pressure on the pump had caused this issue. They did make a hardened fuel pump rod to solve this issue the part may still be avalibe. To be honest your better off just grabbing an electric rotary style pump and calling it good. At least this way your going to keep that new comp cam happy and have cooler fuel going to your carb.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote