The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
au03z71

Price for paint job...

I've got all the resources to do all the work on my truck aside from a paint booth. How much would a good paint job run? I'm looking at either going all black or orange and white... Anyone have any experience? One guy quoted me $7500 but that's a little too rich for me right now...
au03z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
big_al_71

Re: Price for paint job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by au03z71 View Post
I've got all the resources to do all the work on my truck aside from a paint booth. How much would a good paint job run? I'm looking at either going all black or orange and white... Anyone have any experience? One guy quoted me $7500 but that's a little too rich for me right now...

It all depends on how much of a qulity job you want. My brother in law has a 69 camaro right now that he has already spent 6k in bodywork alone with no paint. He wants the body to be perfect with zero flaws. The paint job will be around 12k dollars when he is ready for paint.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
yotaforce

If you can do everything (bodywork, primer, sanding, etc...) then I think it should cost no more than $1000-$1500 just to have it masked and painted. I could see $7500 if they would have to doo ALL of the work. I'm painting a Dakota next week with minimal bodywork (dings), and spraying the original color in two stage PPG basecoat/clear. I'm charging him $1350 plus $348 in materials. Too bad you're not closer to my shop, I'd give you an estimate. I have a new custom shop here in NC. I should have the web site up soon. Diverse-customs.com

Last edited by yotaforce; 02-17-2009 at 01:40 PM.
yotaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
cdowns

what you deem ready to spray could be a far cry from what a pro deems ready
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
HuggerCST

I agree, opinions vary, so it's all about what kind of quality you want. Paint alone will vary from $200 to $2500 depending on brand, color, and quality, and orange will be twice the price of black.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

Last edited by HuggerCST; 02-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
70 Suburban
Rods

There is alot to consider on a paint job. My gun alone cost 1000 my air system another 800.
Then you got tack cloth, thinner . Paint reducer harndner. Clear. Sand paper cups. Mask........
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
beautimus

i understand what you mean. paint jobs have gone through the roof on price in my neck of the woods. spraying paint is not expensive. prepping an older vehicle for paint is very expensive. body shops around here want 4000 and up to paint my truck, and they want to keep it until they get around to it. they make there money on wrecks and repairs. thats drive the car in, swap on a new fender hood and grill, and spray away. they are gonna clear about a grand or more a pop. then i bring them my old truck and they see weeks of sanding priming painting and body work, and they just can't make any real money on it. then, you have the part timers on weekends, that will take your car in, and keep it for a year, or two because they want to work on it sometimes but not every weekend. and they are scarred not to turn out a flawless paint job, because their reputation is riding on every vehicle they turn out. heck , i would be happy with an earl schibe paint job, but they wont touch it, unless you can drive it in to their shop in one piece and there is old paint to put the new on. so for me its gonna be buy a compressor and a new paint gun and a whole lot of trial and error. good luck to you.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
68Stepbed

If you were closer, the guy that painted my truck said he gets $3000 for a paintjob with no metalwork. That's for stripping it to bare metal, rebuilding it up with primer and filler, smoothing it out, painting it, and buffing the paint out.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Texasbigblock

mine cost a little over 3k but needed very minimal body work. i took everything apart, had everything down to bare metal with a coat of etching primer. All the paint man had to do was the little bit of bodywork and paint it. Then he gave it back in pieces and i put it back together myself. Also make sure you want black before you paint it that color.....its beautiful, but hard to take care of.

Last edited by Texasbigblock; 02-17-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Texasbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Well mine was painted a year ago Thanksgiving, well I got it back Thanksgiving he had it since that August 2007. I had never meet the guy until I stopped by his shop to ask about painting my truck. I went back and forth with him everytime I went to the trash dump. I bet I talked to him 50 times before he agreed to paint it.
I took the Chrome off of it and he did the rest except for the front bumper work I had another shop do it. He did paint it though.

He welded all the trim holes, old gas tank holes up and did all the sanding, I mean everything!

We even took the windows out of it.

Wet sanding.

Finished product...$2800.00 for the paint job + the extra for front bumper and trim peices. Oh the guy penstriped it for $250.00 and he came to my house to do it. I would say $4000 in total with everything. All new tinted glass.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 02-17-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Maaco can do great paint jobs. It all depends on the shop though.

Miss having a truck

Last edited by thirdstreettito; 02-17-2009 at 04:42 PM.
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
70 Suburban
Rods

Paint and clear are affected by oil prices. Paint is about double what it was 2 years ago. Now granted there is still budget paints out there. Nason. Ppg's shop line, even sherwin willams. I have used all of them and get pretty good results. On the down side. Most spaint supply stores will not color match with there budget paints.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
oldno7

Maybe it's just me, but im not sure how you can do all the body minus the paint. The paint job is only going to look good if the body work is flawless, and if you can do this then you can paint.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
oldno7

Maybe it's just me. Your paint is only going to look good if the bodywork is flawless, and if you can do that then you can paint. I guess I could understand if you could paint and no bodywork, but how do you do bodywork and no paint.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

There is such a wide range here....There is really no perfect or right answer......I have over $4,500 in Sweet Pea's body work and paint..I did all the work myself and have somewhere around 200/300 hours in the bodywork and prep work..I would assume total cost would be around 10 grand....If I had not done everything myself....I do it for a living so there are a few perks here and there....It all depends on what you want....I wanted a Above show quality paint job,so thats what I did.....Sweet Pea will not be a trailer queen....But why half ass it?.....I plan on showing it and enjoying it....She wont be driven daily but she''ll be driven where ever she goes...

Last edited by bad6772; 02-18-2009 at 12:06 AM.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
au03z71

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
Maybe it's just me. Your paint is only going to look good if the bodywork is flawless, and if you can do that then you can paint. I guess I could understand if you could paint and no bodywork, but how do you do bodywork and no paint.
No paint booth... The truck is at my dad's shop at his house and I don't have the luxury of dragging it outside and getting overspray all over my mother's yard, house, and landscaping. It's not a question of ability, it's a question of resources.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
see ten
WTB this ad

I spent about 10K on my K10 back in 95...but it still looks tip top and people ask if I just got it back from the shop.

One of my buds just had one done at Maaco with a couple extra coats of clear so that it could be watersanded. It looks near show quality right now ( or at least better then the average driver/cruise in vehicle) Only time will tell how it's going to look in ten years.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
70 Suburban
Rods

IF YOU HAVE THE SKILL THEN A BOTH SHOULD NOT STOP YOU. tHERE IS A REAL SKILL TO PAINTING AND MAKING IT LOOK GOOD.. JUST GET SOME PVC PIPE AND A ROLL OF PLASTIC AND ZIP TIES. TO WALLMART BOX FANS AND YOU GOOD TO GO. i PAINTED A PORSCHE IN A HOME MADE BOOTH JUST LIKE THAT. LOTS OF MY REPAIRS ARE MADE IN THESE.(AT HOME)
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
au03z71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Suburban View Post
IF YOU HAVE THE SKILL THEN A BOTH SHOULD NOT STOP YOU. tHERE IS A REAL SKILL TO PAINTING AND MAKING IT LOOK GOOD.. JUST GET SOME PVC PIPE AND A ROLL OF PLASTIC AND ZIP TIES. TO WALLMART BOX FANS AND YOU GOOD TO GO. i PAINTED A PORSCHE IN A HOME MADE BOOTH JUST LIKE THAT. LOTS OF MY REPAIRS ARE MADE IN THESE.(AT HOME)

I don't know if I'd call it "skill." I certainly wouldn't want to test my salt on a project that I've been dreaming about for 10+ years either... If it was someone else's car, or a beater for that matter, it'd be a different story.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #20
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Do what my dad did 20 years ago. Plastic tarp on the ground, ceiling, and around the car. Had a fan to pull fumes out of the sectioned off area of the garage.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #21
70 Suburban
Rods

well as practice you could always cut it it..ie under hood inside cab. door jams front of bed ect..its all about gettin your gun time in and it should save your painter some time and you some money
Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
knsmodels
I make Models

you might want to talk to a small shop and see if they will rent you their booth on a Sat. or Sun. and then you could do it yourself......I did this for my Chevelle and then used a friend of mines booth for my truck which I did in pcs. in the evenings and weekends when I could get in the booth.....I originally planned on doing it at home but after painting the cab and seeing where all that overspray was going I didnt think my neighbors where appreciating that.....just a thought

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #23
70 Suburban
Rods

i just tape 24x24 a/c filter on the fan coming and the fan blowing out
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #24
68C10HotRod

Another option could be to rent someones booth for the weekend. I've heard of some of the smaller shops willing to do that. I'm going to ask my paint guy if he'll let me do this at his place. Did the home booth in the past & the 68 Camaro we did came out really nice for a driver & a couple of inexperienced kids. Just used sheets as filters on the walk-in door with a fan pushing air out the window, sprayed a little water on the floor to keep the dust down after cleaning the garage as best we could. The old forgiving days of lacquer & extra clear coats to rub out.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” - Benjamin Franklin
"And those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves" - RUSH lyric (mockery)
68C10HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote