The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
NuBomb

Quadrajet Question

I am wanting to buy a solid carburator to have rebuilt locally. What numbers should I be looking for. I have a service manual that has the numbers that were used, but I'd like to know if there are some other numbers/years that would be better. I am not posting a WTB, I am just wanted to make sure of what numbers I can or cannot use. Thanks.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Quadrajet Question

The numbering system for the bodies (I believe) help to tell you what model carburetor it is....or was. Seems that all of the Q-Jets from the mid-sixties and up thru '69, had a seven-digit number that began with 702XXXX. I believe in '70, the first three digits were 703XXXX. Beyond that, you had to look at the remaining four digits to know which engine it was installed on.

Are you trying to restore your engine, or are you just looking for a period-correct carb to modify to your liking? There should be a list of info that you can use to decipher any Q-Jet you find. The down side to looking for a particular carb is that you may be looking for a needle in a haystack.

I just bought a new Edelbrock Q-Jet and never looked back. It may be that by the time you find/buy a specific carb and have it rebuilt, you could have a new one for less.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
dan42

I have a quadrajet, I think it's around 1980 from the codes, and it's supposed to be one of the better years - the later ones have smog stuff that doesn't allow you to change settings. However, even though it was rebuilt, it starts hard when it's cold (and I'm talking California cold - it probably wouldn't start in the midwest).

Last edited by dan42; 02-16-2009 at 02:00 PM.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

The best years of Q-jet were the late 70's/early 80's. You want one that doesn’t have an electrical plug going to the body of the carb (wires going to solenoids & the choke housing are ok). You can be sure that you will need to have it rebuilt & new bushings installed in the bottom plate. My Q-Jet had all of that done & after 2 adjustments, it starts just fine at -40. I believe the full-size wagons had the highest rated CFM. I seem to remember that there was a post here about how to tell the difference. I think you had to look down the primary venturies & see if the had a flat spot on one side... ChevLoRay is right though, a new carb has all the good stuff & is ready to go.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
NuBomb

I've got a carter AFB on it now, and the choke is loading up when I let it warm-up in the morinings. It was fouling plugs pretty quickly. I took it to my mechanic and he adjusted the choke and cleaned the plugs. It is running better now, but I'd like to put a quadrajet on it so I can have the correct choke set up. I'm not looking for a performance carb, just a reliable set up that I can count on. My blazer is my daily driver until another projet gets done. The blazer took 7 years, so that will probably be a while.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Thumbs up Re: Quadrajet Question

http://www.smicarburetor.com/product...2/productID/47

s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
bartstoy

I went from the original Q-Jet to a Carter AFB. The Carter was acting up after a few years so I just put in a new Edelbrock Q-Jet. Like Chev-Lo-Ray I ain't looking back. Starts right up, and gets going. What is most interesting is if you really look at the Carter and the Edelbrock side by side, and inside to inside, they are almost identical. Just an observation

454 BB with Edelbrock stuff.

Work truck for years, 2nd restoration going on.

'69 C20
'03 Tahoe Z71
70 Hp Johnson pushing aluminum bass boat.

All things in life are uncertain, so eat dessert first.
bartstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Skirkpat

If your Q-Jet wont start at 40 degrees, it is not a bad carb, it's the tune in my opinion.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Wrenchbender Ret

I agree with Buck. Late 70's early 80's. with the round choke. If it is not electric you can put the electric coil in it. Then the choke does not have to be compatible with the manifold. Thats all I run on my trucks. I buy them at swap meets for $5-10. Rebuild them myself & usually dont have over $50 in one.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

I can start mine in the 30s with the choke. Though my carb was missing most the choke bits so we had to adda manual choke cable and midify the linkage some.

Besides the dirt coming in from my fuel line, it's a great carb. Fuel efficient in the city with 4.10 gears.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My truck originally had a Q-Jet on it, but the P.O. removed it and installed an Edelbrock 1405. It ran rich, had a manual choke and gas-fouled spark plugs like crazy. Also, he (the P.O.) had installed it with an adapter, so the setup just wasn't worth a crap.

I bought a new Performer intake and the 1901 Q-Jet from Edelbrock. It has a divorced choke and the electric connection is to open up the choke after the engine is warmed sufficiently.

In my opinion, the Q-Jets that came out prior to the '72 and up engines would be the best performance candidates. When the first Arab oil embargo was upon us, automotive manufacturers scrambled to make the existing carbs as fuel-efficient as possible. It was at that time the the tuning parameters changed, carbs were set to run lean and engines were prone to run-on, after shutting off the ignition. That's when we got solenoids added to forcibly close the throttle valves and accelerator pumps eventually became electronic, hence the nickname Mod-Quad. I would have no use for anything any newer than '71, myself. You do what you want.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #12
NuBomb

Great information guys. One of the mechanics at the shop I use is supposed to be really good with quadrajets. I have always heard that a well tuned quadrajet will work great. The secret seems to be someone who really knows what they are doing. I trust the mechanics I use, and I'm going to go with what they recommend.

North Georgia Group