The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #1
mrein3

I'll bet your rims that don't fit on the front over the new rotors do fit over the drums in the back.

When I was in high school a friend had a 1974 Chevelle with front disc brakes. He had a flat on the front so I let him use the spare for my 72 drum brake Malibu. It didn't fit over the rotors. It wouldn't work.

When I converted my 72 Malibu from front drums to front discs I had to get a set of 4 rims that fit over the rotors so I'd have 4 matching rims.

My truck has 6 rims that fit the 6-lug bolt pattern. Only 4 of the rims fit over the rotors on the front.

To make a long story short, as Palf70Step points out, there is such a thing as a drum brake rim and a disk brake rim. Back when these trucks were made was when GM was first selling disc brakes. Just because a previous owner got a set of 67-72 rims at the bone yard doesn't mean they'll fit if you have front discs. After 30+ years who know what you got for your truck.

Look at the shoulder on the back of the rim that is hitting the rotor. Actually it hits the caliper. The "newer" disc brake rims don't have this shoulder. If it wasn't -11F I'd go next door with the digital camera and show you.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote