The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
ashx2

Exclamation Seat Belts -n- Seat Belt Tickets

Oh how I love these old trucks!!!! I got pulled over by a DPS officer yesterday (a young fella eager to do his job), and he says to me, "The reason I pulled you over, was for failure to wear a seat belt."

I said, "You mean like this one?? (pointing to my lap belt)"

I could see he was a little dumbfounded and embarrassed and could tell he was looking for anchors where a shoulder belt would be on the newer vehicles.

I said, "Was that all you were needing or was there something else?"

"Uh, no sir, that's all. It just looked like you didn't have a seat belt on when I passed you. You be safe and have a nice day," he said.

As I pulled away, I thought......I LOVE MY TRUCK.....I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!

I know seat belts are important and that they do truly save lives......but it burns my butt to have someone "make" or "require" me wear one. I guess it's just my little way of "stickin' it to the man"!

Greg
ashx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
1SIK69

Re: Seat Belts -n- Seat Belt Tickets

About 12 years ago when I owned a 69 LWB Super Cheyenne I got pulled over by the Grand Prairie PD. They did the same thing but argued with me telling me I needed shoulder belts. He pulled out his book and found he was wrong. I drove away laughing.
1SIK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
lowriden58

glad he was doing his job i feel naked if i dont wear a seat belt, its just second nature to put it on. there are alot of people who dont wear their seat belts and pay the ultimate price for it

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
67-C10

That is funny. If you got pulled over by a statey in Mass he'd probably still give me a ticket though. 2 months back boston traffic a guy was driving his wife to the hospital in labor and was taking some liberties with driving in the breakdown lane cause of traffic they got pulled over by 2 stateys and let continue. The third one made them stop and wait while he finished filling out a ticket for someone else and then gave them one after making the lady prove she as pregnant.

Project 67 short step Build Thread

01 Sierra Crew 6.0
2015 Ford F150 Work gave me truck i really wouldn't buy a ford.
67-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

gotta make that state revenue.....

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
haysonj

Not sure on the year that seat belts went from an option to required but my 69 did not even have lap belts. I installed them myself.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
big_al_71

seems like at least he was doing his job....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

haysonj... your truck came with seat belts. Every 67 - 72 chevy 10 - 30 series pickup had 2 lap belts at a minimum.

Now if you are ever rolling down the road, and a femail officer (or MP) puulls up beside you and tugs on her seatbelt while looking at you.... do not....
I REPEAT.. DO NOT...
Point down into your lap to her femail officer.

Take my work for this one guys.... trust me.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
Not sure on the year that seat belts went from an option to required but my 69 did not even have lap belts. I installed them myself.
If so, it is because someone took them out before you got ahold of the truck.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Act of 1966 mandated the use of seatbelts, among other things. These standards went into effect almost immediately. The '67 model year vehicles were so equipped, but many of the vehicles produced before the law went onto effect already had seatbelts. They were available as early as the 1950s in some vehicles....and the way I understand it, if the vehicle was originally equipped with them you must retain them, even if it was before the legal requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Kayotic

Where I live here in Georgia, I can see this as a problem. As stated above, I always (with exception to parking lots)wear my seat belt. Just doesn't feel right without it.

Wonder how they would react to a racing harness?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Now if you are ever rolling down the road, and a femail officer (or MP) puulls up beside you and tugs on her seatbelt while looking at you.... do not....
I REPEAT.. DO NOT...

Ohhh Noooo.....Did she stop to get a better look?

My feelings on the matter...I would rather not be pulled over for nothing.I think cops have more important tasks than worry aboutr protecting ourselves from ourselves.There`s another thread where a car got it`s wheels and stereo stolen and how the cops don`t have time to worry about alarms.I`d hate to think that`s because they`re lookin`for seatbelt violators.

I knew the time would come,once belt laws came out,the young cops wouldn`t realize no shoulder belts were used before a certain time and we`d be getting stopped.I just got pulled over last week because the officer didn`t think I was wearing the belt.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
Livrat
Member #1049

Quote:
haysonj... your truck came with seat belts. Every 67 - 72 chevy 10 - 30 series pickup had 2 lap belts at a minimum.

I REPEAT.. DO NOT...

LOL... Andy I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard..
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

well, it's a true story... happened on Ft Hood, a femail MP did this to me. When Ipointed towards my lap with a smug look on my face, she locked up the tires, flipped both lights and sirin on, and pulled me over. She was screaming and yelling at me before she even got up to my window. I wasn't even sure what was going on yet.
I put my hands on the steering wheel and told her to open my door and look... i have my lap belt on.
She ended up laughing after she saw it and realized I was not trying to be an a-hole towards her.

As for the racing belts, they are technicly a no - no. They are not DOT aproved. The feds feel that Mr Average joe doesn't know how to install them, and in reality, in an old pickup, they would be very difficult to install properly. Technicly, this includes adding a 3 point from another vehicle. If the belt was not made for that specific make and model, then it is not required to be recognised as a correct seatbelt. I also learned this one in a Tx anual inspection. I got sent home for improper belts when i first got my truck inspected. I had to downgrade from a racheting 3 point, to the correct lap belt, or stock lap/shoulder belts. The only way I could have gotten around this was if I could prove the installed belts were aproved for that make and model. The inspector showed me the law in the federal DOT safety equipment book.
Now... with all that said, 99.999% of the officers and inspectors wouldn't know unless you said something.
just don't be stupid when installing non stock safety stuff. If someone gets hurt from your unaproved 'upgrade', guess who gets in trouble.
Mark... sorry about your keyboard man.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
MrC1
Dork For Days

Legal requirement or not, I'm about to install shoulder belts in my truck. Bend forward from the waist and see if ou'd like the steering wheel to catch you where it does. I decided "no".
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
lowriden58

Quote:
well, it's a true story... happened on Ft Hood, a femail MP
that must be a new breed of cop

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashx2 View Post
I know seat belts are important and that they do truly save lives......but it burns my butt to have someone "make" or "require" me wear one. I guess it's just my little way of "stickin' it to the man"!
Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
My feelings on the matter...I would rather not be pulled over for nothing.I think cops have more important tasks than worry aboutr protecting ourselves from ourselves.There`s another thread where a car got it`s wheels and stereo stolen and how the cops don`t have time to worry about alarms.I`d hate to think that`s because they`re lookin`for seatbelt violators.

Hallelujah!!!! My life my decision.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriden58 View Post
that must be a new breed of cop
blah blah blah... what ever. female.

There's a reason why I don't correct everyone when they ask about disk breaks or is something is for sell or ever one look here.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
OARNGESI

Im glad you got a chance to stick it to the man
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #19
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-C10 View Post
That is funny. If you got pulled over by a statey in Mass he'd probably still give me a ticket though. 2 months back boston traffic a guy was driving his wife to the hospital in labor and was taking some liberties with driving in the breakdown lane cause of traffic they got pulled over by 2 stateys and let continue. The third one made them stop and wait while he finished filling out a ticket for someone else and then gave them one after making the lady prove she as pregnant.
They would have just had to follow me to the hospital and write me a ticket there.

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
blah blah blah... what ever. female..

Yeah female! I might just be forced to change my mind about why I was pointing at my lap...

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #21
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1 View Post
Legal requirement or not, I'm about to install shoulder belts in my truck. Bend forward from the waist and see if ou'd like the steering wheel to catch you where it does. I decided "no".
I am putting shoulder belts so my wife will let my little boy ride in my truck

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

hahahahha thats great
Quote:

I REPEAT.. DO NOT...

project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #23
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Oh man!! This thread reminds me of the first time I was driving my '70 around the university where I work. I get pulled over by the campus police and he walks up ral p/off and looks at me and sees my lap belt on and his face instantly chnages. The n he stutters "Do you know your tag has expired?" I tell him it was just renewed a few months ago and he goes to the back of the truck and looks and comes back real disappointed looking and says "Sorry, you have a good afternoon."
He was really trying.....!!!
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Arkansas has just passed a bill and is sending it to the Governor that will make failure to wear a seat belt a primary offense, giving the police a reason to pull you over. Prior to this, it was a secondary offense and they had to have another reason to pull you over.

Some pundits have tried to say that it will give rise to profiling. Sounds like those of us who drive these oldies will have to be sure we have on a lap belt, cause you know we're gonna be targeted by the officers who aren't old enough to know that shoulder belts are a relatively new safety item in the automotive field.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #25
Boog
laying low

Hey Don. I am not a fan of seat belts either and do not wear one around town but do so when I run the highways. This bill has been faught for a long time but they finally got it passed to my displeasure. They are forcing auto drivers to buckle up while they let motorcycle riders go without helmets. This is absolutely the most rediculous line of thought I have ever heard. Who is more vulnerable in an accident? The bike rider of course. This mandatory belt law also gives cops more reasons to pull someone over and while I have you stopped I need to look in your car.
Oh and don't think the law makers are interested so much in your safety. I believe the news said by signing this into law it entitles Arkansas to, I believe, 9.8 million $ in fed money they wouldn't get otherwise. It's more a move to get $ than it is concern for our health. I heard today that annual vehicle inspections are coming back to Ark too. More ways to raise $ and with our state's surplus of tax dollars too. It's all about the money!
I don't have anything against bikers mind you but at the minimum a full face helmet and leathers ought to be mandatory equipment for all riders.
I didn't mean to go off on a rant here but our lawmakers (do gooders) really get under my skin...
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote