The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
HotRod73

What's wrong with my truck?

I have a 85 C10... I went to start it and it started up fine and then i killed it and ran inside for a minute and then came back out and tried to start it again and it did nothing acted like the battery was dead didnt turn over or anything but the door buzzer was going off so i know it had a little juice i had hood open and as i kept trying i saw a little smoke come from what looked like the firewall ... does it have a short or something? anyone ever had this problem??
Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
JohnC

Re: What's wrong with my truck?

Hey another OKIE!!! Sorry, had to say hey first! I'm actually just down the road from you here in Noble.
Now onto your problem. If you have a battery charger I would start there first, or take it and have the battery checked. I've had a truck start just fine one minute, and then not the next time. Checked the battery and sure enough dead. However since you said there was smoke on the firewall that opens a new can of worms. Did you see any wires that were burned, or that had the insulation gone? Wish I could help more, but you may just have to trace wires and see if there is a short from the ignition switch or somewhere like that.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
HotRod73

battery is brand new... the steering column is busted so you have to pull the rod to start it, no key... but its been this way and has been fine... im thinking there is a short but i dont know anything about the wiring on these trucks
Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
JohnC

You may have pinched a wire under the dash while using the rod? You may just trace the wires from the iginition switch on the column through the firewall and see if you see something obvious. Maybe someone else will have had the same problem and will post something on here. Sorry I can't help you any further.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
HotRod73

no problem thanks for your help... i also installed headers today and thought maybe it hit the starter wire or something and shorted it out but i cant find a fuse... and i dont see the header touching the wire but i didnt look too well since its dark out... i got power and all lights work it just doesnt turn over no click or anything and i tried again but this time it didnt smoke but still didnt turn over
Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

have y ou checked the fusible links up there?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #7
HotRod73

No, where do i look?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Hotrod, By virtue of your descrption you definately have a burned fuse link, no question. There is one link high on the firewall next to the brake booster in a small terminal block. There are 2 and sometimes 3 on the B+ terminal of the starter (battery cable connection) When you find the one that burnt, back trace until you find the short. Fix the short, then replace the fuse link. Keep us posted, jim.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
HotRod73

Ok, Thanks for that info... I will dig into it today and see if i cant get the beast running again
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
HotRod73

went out this morning and it fired right up... i shut it off.... and again it started... i left for a while and came to try again and its back to doing nothing again, i also cant find a fuse anywhere on the firewall on the wires
Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Horod, there aren't any fuses persay. Fuse links are just wires with a special insulation on them. To locate one and see what it looks like, go down to the starter and look for wires with a large black rubber plug on the wire. The fuse link is in between that plug and the large (B+) terminal on the starter. The smoke you saw may have been from the starter itself. There is the possibility you have a dead spot(s) in the armature. To check this, the next time it happens, have someone try to start it while you whack the starter with a hammer. If it turns over then, replace the starter. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
HotRod73

its just a loose wire somewhere because it i wiggle wires under hood it starts and runs just fine ill trace it down thanks for all your help...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
us111

hello,know it's always said but first thing i would do
is take both cables off battery,clean good,put back on
be ABSOLUTELY sure they are nice and tight and go from
there.bad connection at battery can cause you to replace
starter and everything else before u figure it out.i would start there.
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote