The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Senator350

electric water pump heater hose routing Q?

wondering how you guys with elec pumps did it...
did you just 'T' off your neck? orrr?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: electric water pump heater hose routing Q?

You can buy a tee, I think it was a chrysler product, or you can have mine since I'm not using it. I didn't like the way the 5/8" hose would be routed. I plan to weld a bong to the tank and just put a barbed fitting in it. Also I want to flip my heater core upside down so the outlet has a shorter lenght to the rad.

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Senator350

i'm thinking like you are, jaros.

i'd really like to have a direct route from my heater to a tank or even the rad.

i think i'm going to hold off on running the hoses for the heater until i decide if i want a mohave heater to replace my pretty tired stock system.

anyone else have any routing suggestions?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator350 View Post
i'm thinking like you are, jaros.

i'd really like to have a direct route from my heater to a tank or even the rad.

i think i'm going to hold off on running the hoses for the heater until i decide if i want a mohave heater to replace my pretty tired stock system.

anyone else have any routing suggestions?
Yeah well,every thing just changed, as I'm trying to hook up my electric fan. Seems like my lower rad. hose now hits my factory shroud. Back to the drawing board!

Also, I will be running my 5/8" heater hose into the back of the cylinder head

I don't think anyone else is running an elec. WP

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 08-03-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Senator350

well... looks like it's just you and me, jaros! guess we better make a good thread, so when people search in the future, they get tons of pics and info

looks like you're using March brackets (PN 22007?) did you have to drill and tap for the alternator mount? i've got a late 60's 327sbc, so i always worry about little things not lining up like they do on 350sbc's.

i've been looking at these fans from FAL:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-electric.html

what are you using for fans?

Last edited by Senator350; 08-03-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Senator350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
jaros44sr

Quote:
i've been looking at these fans from FAL:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-electric.html

what are you using for fans?
My son picked up one in the j/y, hooked it up to the battery and it really blows

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 08-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Ok so here goes another noob questions, why go with a electric pump, what are the advantages and disadvantages? Just wondering

Thanks

Last edited by VanceH; 08-03-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Senator350

that's easy enough information to find on CSR or proform website. but in the interest of actually establishing a good informational thread, with good results for rellevant search terms:

belt driven water pumps, found on most people's engines, require the engine to work the pulley. the engine only makes a certain amount of horsepower, so if some of that horsepower goes to turning your water pump... wouldn't you like to have that horsepower back? so it can go to your wheels?

basically, if you have an alternator that can handle the 20+ amp draw of an electric water pump, then you can gain a little efficiency in terms of horsepower to the wheels, or in terms of fuel consumption related to miles per gallon.

i have a big 4x4, and i need every mpg i can get... so elec water pump, and elec fans are good options for me. but if you are not "squeezing" power out of your motor, then there is no need. if you just want more horses, you can find many better modifications.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Nice info man, what about looks, do they look the same as old style? I am removing my fan going with electric, i already have ordered a bigger alt. Do you gain any room buy going with electric water pump?
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
Senator350

i'd have to say that nothing about electric h2o pumps or electirc fans retains the stock looks.

the elec water pump is roughly equivolent in depth to a sbc long water pump (about 7" from mounting surface to face). the real changes you will see in looks are the lack of a pulley and the change in alternator mount. when you install an electric water pump, you have to also install a mid-mount alternator bracket system. the normal high-mount alt system will cause your alternator belt to interfere with the new water pump. (this is the March #22007 i questioned jaros about)

in regards to the stock fan to elec fan conversion... the difference in appearance is huge. the stock fan and fan clutch assy is completely removed, so there is now an obvious gap between your engine and fan shroud. the stock fan shroud on my sbc is probably over 6" deep. the fan shroud on electric fans is between 2-4", depending on if you go with a low profile fan or a normal 'universal style' from Flex-A-Lite, or SPAL. i cannot speak on the depth of fan and shroud assy's from other vehicles.

IMO, the new sight of an engine with less pulleys and belts, together with the actual ability to see the entire front of your engine is just tooooo cooool. i always hated working around the stock shroud and fan, and i look forward to being able to clean my engine bay with much less hassle.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Senator350

FYI,

the water neck (thermo housing/whatever you want to call it) from a late 80's chevy pickup has two extra inlets. one is for a vacuum switch (EGR stuff) and the other works well for screwing in a 3/4" nipple and directing your heater hose to.

problem solved

autozone can get chrome ones too! FOR JOY!!!

Last edited by Senator350; 08-12-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: i can speel
Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

What is the average life expectancy of an electric WP? I worry about reliability.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Senator350

proform (the one i have) is 2500+ hour life expectancy, and proform can reman them for a decent price.

meizure has a pump with 3200+ hour life expectancy

everyone has a different opinion of if they will hold up to the test of time... i can only say that mine has run about 30 minutes so far with no problems :P
Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #14
jaros44sr

My alt. bracket bolted rite up to the 350 head, there is a small issue with the tensioner rod under the alt., seems like they counterbored it from the wrong side. I've asked March to send me one off the production line that wasn't bored and I will fix it..

The main reason, besides cleaning up the front of my engine, is space. I plan to run an OD trans, and now I can shift the whole powertrain forward 3-4 inches

My concern is the elec. motor will quit and I won't see it, so I have to put an idiot lt. on the dash that will get my attention, you can miss a gauge climbing very easily!

I think DC motors are reliable, brushes and bearings being the only thing that can fail. Mine has a 1 3/4" outlet on my pump, and I want to change it to 1 1/2" because it mite be hard to find the rubber adapter on the road

We'll see how it works out, can't say, as mine is a Garage Queen for the last 5 years, but if it doesn't I can switch back to a conventional pump

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
nartkers

Quote:
FYI,

the water neck (thermo housing/whatever you want to call it) from a late 80's chevy pickup has two extra inlets. one is for a vacuum switch (EGR stuff) and the other works well for screwing in a 3/4" nipple and directing your heater hose to.

problem solved

What about thermo housings with a single extra inlet? Any suggestions? Would you just plug the extra one?
nartkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
jaros44sr

Quote:
FYI,

problem solved

Got pics.?

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #17
Senator350

Well... Umm.... Kinda....

I'll have to search my puter. My camera phone just makes noise when I want to use the camera function...

So... as far as the late 80's water neck... The upper rad port is angled lower than on a traditional water neck. Thus focing me to relocate the water temp sender on my Edel Performer mani.

I haven't started working on the truck again yet (it's 20* out right now), BUT I'm considering using a water neck spacer (1" aluminum from Jegs or Summit).

Initially, I just ran an inline temp sensor housing in my upper rad hose, but then I couldn't find a 1/2"npt or 3/8"npt temp sender with the right ohms and sweep
So, I've got this kinda bling aluminum inline port now, which I'm considering using for a Flex-A-Lite temp sender to control heated seat switches... or... hmmmm

Last edited by Senator350; 03-25-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
Senator350

Quote:
Originally Posted by nartkers View Post
What about thermo housings with a single extra inlet? Any suggestions? Would you just plug the extra one?

I vaguely recall a single extra port on a water neck from Summit... but it's kinda foggy now... been a while.

I did just plug my extra port. I just bought a NPT chrome plug kit from auto-zone. I got a couple each of four or five different sizes. They've already come in handy. I then plugged my water temp sender port, and my two new ports on my inline temp sender...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #19
jaros44sr

Quote:
Well... Umm.... Kinda....

I'll have to search my puter. My camera phone just makes noise when I want to use the camera function...

So... as far as the late 80's water neck... The upper rad port is angled lower than on a traditional water neck. Thus focing me to relocate the water temp sender on my Edel Performer mani.

I haven't started working on the truck again yet (it's 20* out right now), BUT I'm considering using a water neck spacer (1" aluminum from Jegs or Summit).

Initially, I just ran an inline temp sensor housing in my upper rad hose, but then I couldn't find a 1/2"npt or 3/8"npt temp sender with the right ohms and sweep
So, I've got this kinda bling aluminum inline port now, which I'm considering using for a Flex-A-Lite temp sender to control heated seat switches... or... hmmmm
Sooooo, have you started the engine up with this setup, lmk if you get heat when you do. My idea is not panning out like I hoped, I may go your way and drill and tap the inlet if there is enough metal there to support it

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
nartkers

I found this one on the Autozone website - looks like it might work well. I put in 1981 GMC C1500 2wd 1/2 ton 5.0L 4BL OHV 8 cyl in the vehicle details. It is Spectra p/n 4730
Attached Images

Last edited by nartkers; 03-25-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added p/n
nartkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #21
Senator350

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Sooooo, have you started the engine up with this setup, lmk if you get heat when you do. My idea is not panning out like I hoped, I may go your way and drill and tap the inlet if there is enough metal there to support it
I did not have my water plumbed when I ran my engine to test my ignition.
I have not had my engine running since then either...

BUT, I did run the electric water pump and my electric heater with the key in the accessory position. It circulated well, and I could hear most of the bubbles flushing out.

Whether or not it will all explode when there is water pressure and circulation through the block remains to be seen
Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #22
jaros44sr

Quote:
I did not have my water plumbed when I ran my engine to test my ignition.
I have not had my engine running since then either...

BUT, I did run the electric water pump and my electric heater with the key in the accessory position. It circulated well, and I could hear most of the bubbles flushing out.

Whether or not it will all explode when there is water pressure and circulation through the block remains to be seen
OK, I still have some time before mine needs to work, so I'll wait and see how yours works out. I like your location, but it has to work, I'm concerned about the flow with the thermastat closed, but we'll see. I'll go down another path and see if I can get anywhere

Mistake in the 3rd pic. is that I made it up using a 1/2" NPT bung, for a -12 AN (5/8") it needs to be a 3/4" NPT. So back to the drawing board

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 03-26-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #23
jaros44sr

For some reason I had the wrong flow direction in my head, read another thread that shows the right direction. I think your setup may very well work, plus it will give you another area to bleed off trapped air in the cooling system. Keep us posted as you make progress

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #24
Senator350

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post

Dangit!!! Now I've got this unexplainable urge to finally fill a tank with some Helium and start plumbing with metal instead of rubber.

Kinda off topic, but your ballin' aluminum fab work makes me think of a rod plumbed with copper.... looked sharp. Your aluminum look snice, but you might want to consider finding a source for a 90* street T I know they are avail in copper and iron and pvc and stainless... So I bet you could find one.

A street T would have a bit of elbow to the inlet. It would actually flow the coolant into your water neck instead of the abrupt 90* it makes now, and I think it might look cleaner.

I bet if you look hard enough you can even find them with the correct male/female/threaded combination you need.

Last edited by Senator350; 04-01-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
jaros44sr

Quote:
Dangit!!! Now I've got this unexplainable urge to finally fill a tank with some Helium and start plumbing with metal instead of rubber.

Kinda off topic, but your ballin' aluminum fab work makes me think of a rod plumbed with copper.... looked sharp. Your aluminum look snice, but you might want to consider finding a source for a 90* street T I know they are avail in copper and iron and pvc and stainless... So I bet you could find one.

A street T would have a bit of elbow to the inlet. It would actually flow the coolant into your water neck instead of the abrupt 90* it makes now, and I think it might look cleaner.

I bet if you look hard enough you can even find them with the correct male/female/threaded combination you need.
Thanks, but your idea of plumbing into water neck, has me doing a total redesign.

-12AN/ 3/4"NPT drilled and tapped into my waterneck, 45 degree -12 fitting headed at the heater core. At this point in time everything will be push on fittings

The inlet for the electric water pump will go back to stock. All my hoses should look like my power steering

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 04-01-2009 at 11:02 AM.