The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
K20Submarine

Hard Drive to Park shift

Hey everyone, well I just went from an 88 manual toyota tacoma to a 86 K20 Suburban, its been a long time since Ive driven an automatic, now Ive got the truck sitting waiting for some minor maintenance when I get the money. Now here's one of the issues I want to address, when I shift the truck from Park to Drive I can feel the truck pull pretty hard, and I guess the best way to describe it is that it "bumps" into gear. There's a slightly loud pop and then I can feel the truck pulling if I let off the brake. Now going from a manual 4 banger to this beast is a whole other world so I just want to know if this is normal? Or if there are some things I should check? Thanks guys and Ive got some more questions for later on but this is top of the list right now.
K20Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
OrangeAnimal

Re: Hard Drive to Park shift

First thing is to check the idle speed. Next I would check the driveshaft and u joints. Then check the transmission mount and then the engine mounts. My guess is it will be a combination of these causing your issue.

When you check the mounts make sure they are bolted tight to the trans and the cross member. Same goes for the engine mounts. I usually use a pry bar and try to move the engine or trans in any direction. It it moves then you know you have a problem. Good luck. Keep us posted.
OrangeAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
K20Submarine

Re: Hard Drive to Park shift

Alright so weather permitted I was able to go outside and check the mounts and most of the drive train for play. I couldn't really find anything that moved around a lot, the tranny mounts moved slightly but they are large black rubber things that look like they are intended to take a little shock. Now heres what I found shifting the truck with a little special touch. When I shift from Park to Drive and I do it quickly and not stomping on the brake the shift is pretty clean no thumps or jerks, but if I hold the brake pedal to the floor the shifting is much harder, can anyone make any sense of this? Thanks for quick reply earlier Orange.
K20Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote