The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
z400rider8787

In need of motor help

so i picked up a 70 GMC LWB and i wanna turn it into a high performance street/mild strip truck. Im gonna be building a 350 and i want around 400-500 hp with decent street manners. what i have so far is an 010 block, an oem forged crank and powdered metal rods. I've already picked out some decent aluminum 200cc heads but i dont really know what type of cam or carb i need. i want a good choppy idle but i dont want to end up over camming it. i was considering roller, if its worth the money. Im gonna run forged pistons in case i wanna spray it some day. but i guess the question im trying to ask is what is a good motor combo to go with? Im relatively new to this and dont know too much
z400rider8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
72 SUPER10

Re: In need of motor help

i ran a 355 with old 202 double humps a long time back with a 11.1 dome 30 over and a 501 hyd, it may have had a 292 duration not sure , but it ran 8.50 in the 1/8 th and on 125 shot 7.70s its been a while so im real close on the figures hope it helps , oh it was in my 72 truck also. good luck vince
72 SUPER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by z400rider8787 View Post
so i picked up a 70 GMC LWB and i wanna turn it into a high performance street/mild strip truck. Im gonna be building a 350 and i want around 400-500 hp with decent street manners. what i have so far is an 010 block, an oem forged crank and powdered metal rods. I've already picked out some decent aluminum 200cc heads but i dont really know what type of cam or carb i need. i want a good choppy idle but i dont want to end up over camming it. i was considering roller, if its worth the money. Im gonna run forged pistons in case i wanna spray it some day. but i guess the question im trying to ask is what is a good motor combo to go with? Im relatively new to this and dont know too much

400-500 HP with 'decent street manners' out of a 350 ain't gonna happen without some form of boost. OR, You better be REAL picky about the heads. Remember the Edelbrock 420HP PRM package??? you want to know how many motors blew upon the dyno trying to make those numbers????? You need a head flowing BETTER then 240ish cfm, pick a cam that puts lift in the operating range you want to make this 400-500, and then make sure you build it so it will tolerate the RPM's it's gonna take top get there. Not trying to be a pesimist or pee in your wheeties, just your asking a LOT out of a little 350, pump gas (I asume) street motor.

But... to make that goal,, I'd build a blow-through turbo package about 8:1. hydraulic roller with something like the new Brodix head or for a little tamer a set of AFR 195's (you don't neeed a boatload of head when the induction is rammed down it's throat )

(you do know I just spent around $15k of your stimulus $'s don't you )

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
70rs/ss

I'm w MarvD you need a power adder or more cubes, a 383 would do your 500hp goal easier, but the heads are still the weak link. A nice solid low compression long block with all the goodies as far as pistons, rings, and ARP bolts, then boost the wee out of it, add methonol injection and you should have a super tame fire breathin' beast!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote