The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Tail Shaft measurments???

just make sure the shift linkage still reaches, or isn't too crowded. (assuming stock mechanical linkage)
The previouse owner of my last truck (69 GMC short/fleet) who we call the Dope Smoking Old Man... for many MANY reasons... he installed the engine and tranny combo while he was drinking (admitedly) and I suspect as he was high too. He had the engine/trans installed crooked, and plus, the TH350 wouldn't reach the TH400 placed cross member. So he took a piece of 1/8 inch plate, and made an arm to reach from the mounting point to the tranny mount. (instead of moving the cross member) The whole assembly was in crooked, and the shift linkage wouldn't reach the tranny. So, in true stoner fashion, he cut the linkage in half, and added some metal... about an inch or more if memory serves (I sold it back in 04) to make it reach.
This, is the only real issue you may have with a crooked engine/tranny combo.

I've attached the photos of the Dope Smokin Old Man's handy work. Lookin at the pic, the plate was more like 1/4 inch thich. The weight and leverage of the tranny on that mount started to rip the cross member where the bolts go into it.
Some of his work was second to ... well, second to ALL work ever done in the automotive history of man kind. It took me years to un do what he did... and I never even got it all cleaned up, there was still a bunch of his 'custom' work when i sold it.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote