The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
towrecker

Lightbulb power brake vacuum reserve tank

well alot of you all have seen me post a million brake questions well i am going to pass a cheap like 5 dollar little idea i had that worked great it sounds stupid but it was a try it before you buy it thing that worked so good i made a good one (neat one) and put it on my truck !!!
parts list for reserve tank (don't laugh try it if you have a big cam or want better power brakes)
1. used (empty 30lb. refrigerant tank) free at a heat and air shop!
2.a power brake check valve from the help section
3.about 7 feet 3/8 hose
4.4 clamps
5.open the check valve at the auto parts store and get the smallest grommet out and get a brass hose barb that fits tight in it you will use the largest to mount the check valve

this is redneck work at its best so hang with me take the tank and bend the handle around the valve so you can get a sawsall between it and the tank and cut the valve off flush with the top of the tank well i be there is a perfect hole that the large grommet will fit to install the check valve seal with a little silicone next you need to install the brass hose barb i took a 1/2 inch drill bit and drilled a hole and just kept reaming till i had a nice fit of the grommet added some silicone as sealer and screwed the brass barb in i made it a very tight fit then i took a piece if flat bar like 1 inch by 1/4 and welded it to the side of the tank and bolted it to the frame behind the front bumper as for the plumbing of the thing the intake vacuum source connects to the check valve on the tank the line from the boosters check valve to the brass hose barb .
i know we can just buy a pre made one off the net or wherever but they are not cheap the cheapest i found $50 to my door i am a cheapo you know and the best part is a friend has a tank bought from jegs after i made mine we tried his on my truck ...he made one like mine you get 18 full assist strokes of the brake with the engine off 6 with a store bought tank and your brakes are always very soft with the big one not so in town with the store bought one ...and if you paint it black hide it behind the bumper its a clean cheap and great rig up that works and really looks good if you can see that i will get a pic or 2 during the day going to make another to put on my 1/2 ton redneck rigging at it's best sometimes works this time it worked great !!

send me some feed back if you are crazy enough to try this trust me it is worth the strange looks at the quick lube place from the guy in the pit !!
hope someone likes this rig up!!
jason
1963 c-30 wrecker holmes 500
1965 c-10
1969 c-10 grass killer
towrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
ceruzziracing

Re: power brake vacuum reserve tank

pics would be awesome
ceruzziracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
joe231

your long run on sentences exhaust me when I try to read your posts, do not take this personally, I am not trying to be a dick, just wanted to let you know....you might get better response if you broke the sentences apart. it is kinda difficult to understand
Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
towrecker

a hell i rammble on just my redneck showing a little ! heck i dang near flunked english in high school ,guess we know why don't we!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
joe231

Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
slepysal

PICS PICS PICS! please

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
towrecker

Cool Re: power brake vacuum reserve tank

UPDATE...i went to the advance on my way home to get a brake booster check valve ...out, truck comes tonight...i am off wed i will pick one up in the afternoon . I will build my other reserve tank and get you all the pics step by step, i could take a pic of the completed tank tonight,but it's mounted under the trucks front bumper and i doubt it would come out at all .
You all wanna see how to make it anyways ,not just how it turns out !
IF YOU USE MY IDEA LET ME KNOW !!!
o and payment will be lets see do me a burn out in the police station parking lot and we will call it even !!!(just a joke i don't wanna have to come get you outa jail)just drop me a line ,you know to make me feel all inside !!!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
joe231

cool

BTW
That last post was much better...less Boomhower
Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
502tripower

The vacuum reserve tanks were common in the High Performance vehicles of the 60's-70's. Most ran solid lifter cams and if you had power brakes it was necessary to use a reserve tank. Now the hydra boost has taken its place.
1963' Chev Custom Cab 502, 67' 435hp 3X2 intake, 9" 4:30 Posi
1961 Impala SS 348/350 4-speed 3:70 Posi
1961 Bel-Air Bubble Top 283 Turboglide soon to have a 348 3X2 4-speed
1950 17' Fairliner twin cockpit barrel stern 312 Y block 1X1 intake Borg Warner 1:1 gear
1957 Fleetform 14' twin cockpit barrel stern 1969 BP-125 Merc
1949 Transitier 3-wheel forklift Crosley 4-Banger
98' FXD
2002 2500HD
502tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
towrecker

i made the other tank tonight took pics internet must be acting up, can't get the _____ things to up load will try during the day wed .it took me a week to find the check valve not one auto parts store had the universal kit in the help line in stock,which has what i needed in it ...my luck ...wish you better !!!!!!!