The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
schmokinrider

Standard eyebrow or roof height 85 K10?

Hi

I'm trying to figure out the standard height of an 85 K10 Silverado and maybe a copy of the page where it is listed in a workshop manual.
I'm trying to get the pick up registered in Australia and due to the fact it has larger diameter wheels and a bit of a lift kit the assholes won't pass it even though they have no idea of how high it should be.
They told me to come back when I have proof of original height and I'm within 2 inches of that.
I've searched heaps on the net to no avail and don't want to have to wait weeks to order and recieve a workshop manual that may or may not contain the information.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
schmokinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Re: Standard eyebrow or roof height 85 K10?

Well I'm 6' 3/4" and I can see over the roof of my 84 K10. So 5' 9" - 6' 1" high I think.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

are you looking for frame height or top of the cab?
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
schmokinrider

Roof height would be best thanks. Unfortunately they want proof so I may need to get hold of a workshop manual.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
Oldschool82
Balls to the wall!

Well that's about the silliest thing I have heard of...want pass it because of roof height being off a couple of inches or so and they don't even know what the correct height is. what a bunch crap..good luck.
Oldschool82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

Wow, you should move over here, just get a good tan and come through the Mexican/Texas border and no one will ever notice.

So the Queen doesn't like lifted trucks?
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
schmokinrider

Tell me about it! The other option is to pay a race driver to do swerve testing around witches hats at a race track with an engineer present. If they stuff it up and roll it's bad luck for me and costs around $1000 dollars.
I can't stand the idiots but they are who you have to go through to get a car on the road.
I will probably put some smaller rims and tyres on to reduce the height a little but the fact remains they want me to prove the original roof height to them.
Anyone know where I can buy a workshop manual that may have the specs listed?
Fortunately the Queen lives in England and no one much over here gives a **** about her.
The only place I can drive my blown 509 57 Chevy is a drag strip so believe me moving to the U.S. has crossed my mind.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

well my truck is a little over 5 feet tall and it just a little taller than my neighbors k-5 at the window opening and, I never heard a height law like that, and he hasn't had any problems every getting it inspected
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #9
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

Yeah I would put some 14s with low pro tires (tyres) on there just to screw with them.

I thought the old hag ran the show over there?

We have SEMA over here to thwart the douchebags from making laws like that here.
What orgs do you have?

Last edited by heavychevy79; 05-04-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
schmokinrider

The law is to stop monster trucks taking over the bush and running over all the Kangaroos. Then we would have nothing to eat, emu's maybe? We have a tasty coat of arms.
We inherited the British parliamentary system and don't mind page 3 girls getting their gear off but we are fairly well removed from poms in the respect that we recieve plenty of sunlight and don't suffer from almost year round depression
Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

I know you sure can't shoot anything over there.
I thought roos were common over there? How do they taste?
Can you get fried emu, like Kentucky Fried Emu?

How is street racing delt with over there?
Are engine mods restricted too?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #12
schmokinrider

If you have property available to you it's possible to get a gun licence and go roo shooting. A lot of people shoot roos because they are pests and they make good dog meat. It's a little rich but if you slice it thin and do it on a bbq it can taste pretty good. Not sure about emu but they make gourmet pies with roo and emu etc.
We have various hotrodding and car clubs that lobby the government to try to get rid of stupid laws.
It's possible to buy a 6.0 litre holden commodore (pontiac gto) and modify the hell out of it with blowers etc to give 1000rwhp and legally drive it (I saw about 4 or 5 at a recent car show dynoed with upwards of 900 at the treads) but if you have anything other than an aircleaner above the bonnet on your 57 chevy (ie bds blower and bugcatcher) it's illegal in my state. I think it's mainly to do with cars being safe to run people over with, I mean if the bonnet is nice and smooth it's going to be a better experience to go flying into the air instead of being sucked into a bug catcher.
Got me buggered why the ride height of a pick up is a problem.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
OrangeAnimal

I would suggest this. It may be a long shot but still a chance. What you need to prove ride height is a GM Factory Assembly Manual. I have one but it's for Corvette. You may have some luck calling a GM dealer and getting a copy of the page you need. Otherwise a copy of the whole book is kinda pricey. About 130USD a few years back. If you can't get it from a GM Dealer I would try LMC or Classic Industries for a copy of it.

Good luck. Oh and just to make you feel better. There are actually laws here prohibiting the height of a vehicle. It has to do with the headlights being to high. If they are more than 68 inches from the ground you have to fix it. That was here in Texas. They also have a limit as to how low the lights can be as well.
OrangeAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
schmokinrider

Thanks for the info and sorry to take so long to reply.
I contacted Chevy in the U.S. and they have given me a number to call for information that I will try as soon as they are open after the weekend.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
OrangeAnimal

Cool let us know how it goes. I am always curious to see if they are very helpful to the people that own the classics.
OrangeAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #16
schmokinrider

I didn't get much satisfaction on the first email but the second response was better. Below are the emails between Chevy and I.

Subject: K10 Standard height query

Hi, I currently own an 85 K10 Silverado and have tried various enthusiast forums etc to try to find the standard roof height of my pick up.
Before it can be registered in Australia I need to prove it's no more than 50mm above standard height. The licensing department requires proof as they consider it too high looking.
I would be extremely grateful if someone at Chevy could take a copy from a specifications manual where it states roof or eyebrow (fender) height and email me a copy.
I own 55 and 57 Chevy pick up's as well as a blown big block 57 black widow replica and would like to get a more modern Chevy to complete the collection sometime.
Kind Regards
Paul Nottle

We understand your interest in acquiring the information and I apologize for any inconvenience this matter has caused. Since we are able to assist only those customers who are within the United States, we recommend that you contact the General Motors of Australia Overseas Center through their telephone numbers: 1800-033-349, to have your concern addressed.

Thanks for nothing. I will not buy products from companies who don't back the customer, regardless of location. GM Australia have nothing to do with Chevy products (I called them). I'll check out the Dodge Ram.

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking to time to contact us about your vehicles specification compliance for Australian licensing.
I recognize that this situation has caused you a great level of frustration, and I hope that you can accept my sincerest apology on behalf of Chevrolet for the previous misunderstanding.
We recommend that you call our American-based new and vintage vehicles division at their contact information below. We apologize, but there is not direct e-mail address for that department.
New and Vintage Vehicles - Canada / US
1-905-440-7697 or 1-905-440-7689

Pays to tell them how it is!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

I hope they will contact your inspection station and give them a hard time.
Keep us posted.