The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

truck vapor locking??

Now that the weather has gotten warmer here, i've gotten the truck out for several short trips around town.

Problem is, when it gets warm, say, 190-200 degrees setting in traffic, the engine starts to bog down when taking off. You can put the pedal half way down and no change. After a few minutes going down the road, it straightens up and power comes back. Does that sound like a vapor lock??

It's my '87 with the 454 in it, EDL 1705 carb and Air Gap intake. Thought it may be dirt in the carb but it doesn't happen all the time, just when the engine is heated up real good.

Any thoughts???

Ken
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
sdavid

Re: truck vapor locking??

I think a vapor lock would actually kill the engine. Or in a furd with a carb it will.

Your fuel could be boiling inside the fuel line. Under hood air temp could be so hot it is smothering the engine.

Check the fuel line to make sure it is not too close to the exhaust or other extremely hot parts.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
LiveAnimals

here's something for both of ya, if the fuel is boiling that is the transition of liquid to a gas hence "VAPOR" lock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

I'm a Middle ClASS HOLE

07.5 Dodge 3500 CTD -- Daily
73 C10 Factory BB SWB 2WD
LiveAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Nolowrider

Like David said, def check your fuel line routing. Make sure it is not laying on the intake or anything else that really gets hot. Make sure you fuel line is not too close to the radiator outlet, down by the mech fuel pump. Check the choke. Make sure it is opening all the way up when hot. I have seen coils ground themselves out when they get hot. If you have an external coil, where is it mounted? I don't think it is vapor lock per say, but maybe fuel perculation. When the fuel gets hot the vapors take up more space, this sometimes overpowers the needle and seat, fuel dribble down in the carb and cause flooding.

Last edited by Nolowrider; 05-23-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

All very good information... Thank you!

I'll work on it this weekend and check all that. I do know the fuel lines are close to the lower radiator outlet and the header tube for #8. So, I'm re-routing those things first.

The Carb has no choke installed. It's a manual choke 1705 but not hooked up... Thought about buying the automatic choke for it and installing it. Local speed shop carries it.

Kenny
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote