The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

steering problems

Well I think I opened pandoras box a little bit n the gremlins are gettin me today. I replace my steering stabilizer couple days ago and Ive notice it wasnt steering as far right as it used to, it seemed to hit the squeak spot sooner than before. So I moved the mounting bracket that goes on the tie rod a little closer to the other bracket and it will steer as far right as it used to but still squeeks when cranking it right. I also replaced a hose clamp on one of the return lines from my steering box and Im sure I let a little air in the lines. Now Ive done a pretty thorough search and have found that I need to jack the truck up and turn lock to lock 15-20million times to bleed the air out, Which should clear up alot of the squeak sound. Is there any other way to tell if my power steering pump is bad? Thanks in advance for any advice. My ride is a stock 72 k-1500 with 350

Last edited by Eturnit3; 05-19-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Eturnit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Burt4x4

Re: steering problems

I would think if the pump was bad you would feel it, jerky and just not smooth. Like you said you need to get the front off the ground and cycle your steering. take the shock off, have someone turn the wheel lock to lock while you watch, then re-install the shock and make sure it doen't limit one way or the other. It's job is to help return the steering to center.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

well I cycled the steering lock-lock numerous times (probably about 20) while the front end was off the ground and of coarse it was smooth even with the steering stabilizer, get it on the ground and there is one spot that is still just a little squeaky/sticky. The pulley doesnt really line up all that well and will actually stop moving when I hit the sticky spot. It doesnt feel jerky at all when its off the ground but it does feel a bit jerky and unsmooth when I hit that one spot while on the ground. The spot is about 3/4 the way of full lock right turn. I did find a rebuild kit from autozone for about $20 but Im not sure if it is worth the work. I have never so much as pulled a pully off a power steering pump.. any input is appreciated. New pump is $79 with res and without pully 20 dolla core.

Last edited by Eturnit3; 05-20-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: idiot
Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Burt4x4

hmmm..hard to say, I never rebuilt one eaither..more money spent saves time I guess. I would prolly just get a new one, swap it in and test..but if you have more time than money..well give it a go, can't be all that hard!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

This problem seems to have worked itself out.. I just drove it for about 30 miles.. I noticed when I got home a bit of fluid seems to burped out of the res but its steering just fine... must have just needed to work a lot of air out of the line.