The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
78BO

Installing a Blueprint engine

Well I'll be intalling the engine soon. Any advice? Has anyone done this? Is there anything I need to know first?

Thanks
Bryan
78BO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Installing a Blueprint engine

the only afvice im going to give you is to go slow and methodically.. do all the bolts in order and make sure you complete one step before you go onto the next and do things in the order that makes sense like engine to tranny bolts first then torque converter to flywheel then motor mounts then fuel line then starter etc etc

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
78BO

Thanks,
I'm not too worried about the intall as I am the start up. The install guide guide talkes about setting the initial timeing set at 13-16/and 34 total.

Here is a link for the guide, http://www.blueprintengines.com/tech...ils&tech_id=24
Page 5 is what I'm looking at.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
78BO

Engine is in

Well I've got the engine, tranny and drive shaft in. But Jegs sent the wrong balancer and flex plate. I got a flex plate form Auto zone, but the balancer I'll be getting from summit. They have the one with the timing numbers on it. So far the only that that went as plan was the part that went wrong. I knew somthing was going to go wrong, just didn't know what. But in all, it should be running in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
3r!c84
Badass

what motor a 383?

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
78BO

Sorry, yea it's the 383. I've kinda got a few threads around. I figured I'd list the progress in this one.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
71STPSDE

I went to the shop today and they finally got the engine running. It sounded good, but really loud with open headers. It will be going to the exhaust shop tomorrow. So hopefully I'll have my own thread with lots of pics and a video so you can hear what yours will sound like.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71STPSDE View Post
I went to the shop today and they finally got the engine running. It sounded good, but really loud with open headers. It will be going to the exhaust shop tomorrow. So hopefully I'll have my own thread with lots of pics and a video so you can hear what yours will sound like.
Did you get it back yet?
I can't even get mine started. I've got everything from the back to the front on and wired (drive shaft, trans, speedO, shifter, trans lines, kickdown, starter on and wired, headers, temp guage). But when I went to install the pulleys and brackets I found out that the crank pulley doesn't fit! yea, I know. I should have known that a 350 crank pulley won't fit a 400 crank. Everybody knows that. Can you hear the sarcasim?
No one in town has one, they all have to order it. I could have had it the next day, but they wanted 70+ for it. So I ordered one from summit, along with a new water pump pulley. That way they both look the same. Anyways, SOON real soon.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
chevybuldr

Why wont it fit were is the problem? The pulley is the same for a 350 and a 400. Used all the ones off of my 307. The 400 blanacer is just different for external weight. Also I was curious do they tell you what flywheel and balancer to use? Internal or external?
chevybuldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuldr View Post
Why wont it fit were is the problem? The pulley is the same for a 350 and a 400. Used all the ones off of my 307. The 400 blanacer is just different for external weight. Also I was curious do they tell you what flywheel and balancer to use? Internal or external?
When I went to bolt up the pulley there is a lip on the back side (that tuches the balancer), it's about 1/8 long. It wont allow the pulley to snug up to the balancer. I called jegs to ask if they were different the guy said yes. So I spent an hour driving around to find one and one on had it. I ended up ordering a crank and water pump set from summit for 70 bucks. After reading you post I called them to ask if the pulley fit both the 350 and the 400 crank (I already knew they did because I looked up parts for both). The guy on the phone said that they did infact fit both engines. I'M PISSED! But that's just how things have gone with this install. I call for advice and if I'm lucky I get the right answer. Now I'm wondering why my old pulley didn't fit. Maybe the washer is bigger then the old one. From what I was told the washer should sit inside of the dia. of the pulley. If so, I could have this thing running yesterday!
O'well, I really didn't want to put the old rusty part's back on. I was wanting to replace the brackets and pulleys with chrome ones. Guess now I will.

As for the flex plate, they don't say that you have to change that either. I found that out after I was ready for the install and had my buddies waiting on me. It uses and external balanced one. The center dia. is smaller then the one used on the 350. Isn't even close.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
71STPSDE

I just got it back today. It's at the audio place getting a new stereo and new speakers in. I should have some more pics and a video of it. I really love my Dakota Digital guages. I didn't really get on it. It only has 16 miles on it. I'll try and vary the RPM's for the next 500 miles. Then after that, I'll give alot more. Hope everything works out for you.

Last edited by 71STPSDE; 06-05-2009 at 04:58 PM.
71STPSDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
78BO

Well I got it in. Broke in the cam yesterday. Hoping to get it driving today. Found out the trans pan gasket was leaking so I have to change that. I also have to hook up the carb linkage and rig an exhaust. Getting closer

Last edited by 78BO; 06-14-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
78BO

I don't know what's going on, but click the link on top of the video.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
chevybuldr

Sounds good, bet your heart was pounding. Nothing like starting a new motor for the first time.
chevybuldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
78BO

Yea it was. I'm so close to driving it I can taste it. But I made a bone head mistake with the transmision. I didn't put the rubber grommit on the kickdown and it leaks like crazy. So I have to wait until next weekend to fix that. We got to rig up some 2.5 in flowmasters so I can get to the shop, and we set the timing on it. Man it sounds good. I'll be shotting another video once I have it on the road.