The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
bustininmyheavychevy

Talking I got a NV4500 and i need some guidance

i bought this five speed and now im a littel puzzled because it has an electronic speed dometer and my truck is a 69 chevy has an old fashion speedo cable i also was wondering if anybody that did this too and if it is possible to use the old bell housing or if its nessary to get the fancy one they make for it
thank you
bustininmyheavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Re: I got a NV4500 and i need some guidance

Mr. Beast is one man to PM about these trannies.

There is a conversion kit that turns the digital probe into a mechanical for our trucks.

What did you pull this tranny from?
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
69GMCLonghorn

Hey bustin, make sure to document the install take/post some pics when you're done. I really want to do this one my truck, but I'm not a fabricator AT ALL and I'm wondering if a back yard, beer drinkin' idiot like myself should even attempt it.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
mahanian
C10 addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
Hey bustin, make sure to document the install take/post some pics when you're done.
I second that! I just bought a NV4500 and will be doing the swap in the near future.

Which NV4500 did you get? in 95 they changed the first gear and the tranny to bellhousing bolt pattern changed as well

Last edited by mahanian; 06-11-2009 at 01:59 PM.
mahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
69GMCLonghorn

I've done so much on my truck, but I haven't managed to come up with a "simple" way to get an overdrive in it. I tried Gear Vendors, but they don't make an adaptor for the GM version of an NP435. And any other tranny swap I've looked into requires WAY more fab'ing than I want to do, or can afford to have someone else do!

For your sake as well as mine, I hope the install is as pain free as possiblel. Let me know what happens.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
bustininmyheavychevy

i acutally got it from cragslist and the guy already had it pulled out asfar as i know it was out of a 92 chevy two wheel drive and thats what i looked up on the vin but im trying to make this some what cheap lol no but ya thank you ill try to get a hold of Mr.Beast
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
bustininmyheavychevy

for Mr 69gmclonghorn and Mr mahanain that the only way to do things in my book beer friends and a long night lol
Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustininmyheavychevy View Post
i acutally got it from cragslist and the guy already had it pulled out asfar as i know it was out of a 92 chevy two wheel drive and thats what i looked up on the vin but im trying to make this some what cheap lol no but ya thank you ill try to get a hold of Mr.Beast
Seeing as how your transmission is a 92, you will need this: Advance Adapters Part # 712577 Will set you back 399.95 See my build thread on the Boss hoss to see pictures of the Installation in my 72 C/30.

You will also need a custom transmission cross member. Yours will not be the same as mine because the C/30 has a deeper frame.

Tell me what tire size you are running, and what your rear end ratio is, I will let you know what your engine RPM's are going to be at highway speeds.

Also for a good discussion on that, see my build on the Beast.

Best of luck to you, if you have any questions on any part of it, including if you want help designing a cross member let me know and I can make you an autocad drawing. in fact I am parting out a C/10 in the next couple of weeks, If you are interested I could probably build you an X member and ship it to you.