The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2003, 09:50 AM   #1
truckman32
AND HOLDING ON TO THE C10

what can i weld with the lincoln 225

http://www.praxair.com/praxair.nsf/...2568c6005cff71/$FILE/Link1297.pdf

can i use the lincoln 225 to fix cab corners,rockers,floors etc.and can i weld c notchs on with the lincoln 225?,frame repair etc ?
truckman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Blue Beard

Your link came up incomplete, but going to the home site found a stick welder with the 225 model number.......

If you are thinking of using a stick welder for sheet metal.............one word..........DON"T...........

I've been a welder going on 20 years, now retired. But still doing welding for friends.

A stick welder has to be set too hight for sheetmetal. Will burn holes like you wouldn't believe.

I have a stick welder for bigger jobs....don't use it much at home though..........

I use a 110 volt Millermatic Wire Feed with Gas.

Very inexpensive to use, gives nice clean results on sheet metal. Using it with the gas really makes a difference. I bought mine with the gas bottle and cart for around $700.00, may seem high but I learned not to skimp on price of some things. You generally will end up regretting what was purchased.

You might consider spending a little more and getting a good auto darkening hood as well. Saves on the neck by not flipping the hood up and down. You don't have to lift it to see your work, reposition or anything.

I have the Speedglas hood with the adjustable settings on the lense. This also gives more choices for the type of welding you are using. Tig, Mig, Stick, Wire.

You might try looking on Cyberweld.com and see if you like what they have to offer.

I bought my hood thru them, best price available.

Just be sure to do enough research before you buy. Call Cyberweld and talk with them, or even your local shops. Get several, see if they agree.

Just my two cents worth.......good luck.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 10:29 PM   #3
truckman32
AND HOLDING ON TO THE C10

how about a Cambell Hausfeld flux welder : for the body panels .Wf/1900 wire fed arc welder.Low and high settings and automatic wire speed control.Two input settings 115 volt 15 amp, and 115 volt 20 amp.

91 sdime 383/th350
truckman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 10:35 PM   #4
scalawag

hi i found a 225 for 100 bucks used once and still on the crate.

i can weld sheet metal with 1/16 rods but it takes practice. and if you hesitate any, burn hole. frame welding is a snap thicker steel. they didnt have migs back in the old days. i dont know what they used. but my best friends dad is the best body man i ever knew, and he never used a mig. he cut a caddy in two because the rear end was crushed, welded another half to the good half. painted it and it looks like it come off the show room floor. i would get a gas torch set up though. i got one and whatever the stick welder wont do the gas will. the mig in my opinion is like clear coat. a lazy mans way out of waxing a car. but thats my opinion.

i love my lincoln 225 cause its just like the aboves welder that he used and his is over 35 years old. cheap, simple. he showed me all kind of ways to weld with gas and stick. like filling in holes with the gas welder. he melted pennys to make the filler! but that was in the copper penny days.

but yea man you can weld sheet metal, it just takes practice and alot of it.
scalawag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
86SILVERADO

I put my oxy/acetylene setup together for about 300 bucks a few years ago. I would reccommend going with that to begin with for a few reasons. In this society of instant gratification Gas welding is becoming a thing of the past but it is way more versatile than a mig unless you're into alot of stainless and aluminum. If you want a real challenge learn with gas and when you get good and you can justify the cost of just getting the job done like maybe, a minute or two quicker than with gas, go and spend the 7 or 8 bills on a nice miller or lincoln. Personally I have way more fun with my gas setup. A three year old could weld with a mig. No offense guys Maybe I am just old fashioned. Good luck and have fun either way.

Norris

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:34 PM   #6
>X<
registered IWATA user

i'll just repeat what everyone told me when i went to by onea couple months ago- invest in a good brand, stay away from cambell hausfield, the welders arent nearly as good as the compressors. i have a millermatic 175 and it is sweeet. i still suck at it though, but i've seen people do everything with it, i think you can weld quarter inch with one pass with it

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...o+buy+a+welder

thats the link to when i asked this question

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:36 PM   #7
79GMC454C35

welders

I have a gas welder, a MIG, & a Stick. An idiot can weld almost anything with a MIG. I might be stupid or lazy but I use the MIG for everything. Mine is 250Amps & will weld a quarter on a GEO or a frame on a 2 ton truck. I dont weld every day so with gas I would warp the hell out of thin body panels but not with the MIG. With a stick welder I would have to practice on similar metal with different heats & rods to get the correst penetration. With the MIG it takes me longer to uncover it, & sweep the floor than it does to do the welding. Do Not but a little MIG with "Flux Wire", Duct tape is cheeper & works better.
79GMC454C35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:54 AM   #8
highboy_04

would the Cambell Hausfeld be alright if all you were gonna do was weld new panels?
Old 03-24-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
>X<
registered IWATA user

my friend has one of the little cambell hausfields and we use the mess out of it, hasnt broken yet

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:10 AM   #10
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

I was also looking at a Lincoln 3600 mig.
It says it can weld 5/16" steel.
Anyone familar with these?
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 08:18 PM   #11
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Check that..its a Lincoln 3200HD
Can these be used to weld frames?
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote