The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
patrickk1

Mustang II Upper Control Arm w/ Angled Ball Joint

Does anybody manufacture an upper mustang II control arm that has an angled ball joint (pointed inwards)? I know you can get them from race car parts suppliers for other front ends but i have never seen them for mustang II suspensions. My truck is bagged and I plan on setting the running boards about an inch off the ground but i am currently limited by the ball joint binding.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Mustang II Upper Control Arm w/ Angled Ball Joint

I think most suspension builders would tell you that a setup like that would go against proper design and build procedures and probably be cause for a big product liability suit because it alters away from proper suspension design.

I for one will be glad when this silly laying frame fad goes away.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
patrickk1

Re: Mustang II Upper Control Arm w/ Angled Ball Joint

If thats were case, then everyone should be careful from where they get their mustang ii front ends. I have looked at multiple companies and some have the ball joints angled slighly out (to the positive) from stock and other have them paralel to the control arm. If you look at many different car manufacturers some have the ball joints angles differently with respect to the upper control arm. I also recently found out that on classic mustangs they run a "negative" wedge one the upper control arm to give more negative camber by re-angleing the ball joint. On GM Abody's they even run a taller upper ball joint and have been doing so for a long time to get additional negative camber. IIRC this was done on racecars originally. After looking at front suspension design for the last few weeks i think one needs to see what their stock suspension angles they start with are before saying something will work or not. I agree though that it all needs to be looked at. I dont think i would ever buy a mustang ii front end again. Its just not worth it when you can get stock car parts for a whole lot cheaper, they're more durable, and can give you much more adjustability with your suspension.

And by the way, i have also seen tons of 4 link kits that the big manufacturers sell to people and thier angles are completely off from having good performance.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote