The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Heinz55

Original gauges vs replacement question/ help needed

I have a 55 TF Chevy. Almost done installing the new wiring harness (Painless product), just have the dash left to do. I have the original gauge cluster, but I have no idea if they work. I will be replacing gas tank with a s-10 gas tank soon, which means I need a new fuel sender and gauge? My wife likes the look of the old gauges, but I don't know where to start making them work with the new drive train reliably. My options are:

1) Rebuild old gauge cluster myself and somehow convert speedo to work with new tranny (no clue where to start there)

2) Send out gauge cluster to someone for a new rebuild while maintaining stock look

3) Use new gauges in a custom faceplate I will manufacture (Autometer classic series or some other brand that looks like it belongs in truck. Wife hates the dakota digital retro 80's blue LED thing BTW)

What would ya'll suggest? Anybody have any pictures of conversions they have done? Prices or sources or contacts/companies to talk to very appreciated. Thanks

1955 Chevy 2nd series, "Mabel"
Heinz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
robin58

Re: Original gauges vs replacement question/ help needed

Somebody posted a link to some here the other day:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=353107

As for the speedo conversion, what transmission you have in it? If a 700R4, this explains pretty well how to adjust everything:

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/speedo.htm

Similar method is used for a TH350.

Last edited by robin58; 07-17-2009 at 09:22 AM.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Heinz55

Re: Original gauges vs replacement question/ help needed

thanks, exactly what I am looking for. That tach Force set up looks sweet, I guess Christmas will just come early

1955 Chevy 2nd series, "Mabel"
Heinz55 is offline   Reply With Quote